111. An Escape

I stood with Draco in a dark alley waiting for a disguised Fred and Andromeda. Draco was pacing back and forth, deep in thought as I leaned casually against the wall. Soon, they appeared, followed by Narcissa and Lucius. At the sight of her son, Narcissa cried out and pulled him into a hug. Lucius hugged both of them, looking beyond relieved. 

After a pause, I said, "We don't have much time." They seemed to notice me for the first time. "We believe that if Draco doesn't turn himself in, one or both of you will be killed, but if he does turn himself in-" 

"He would be killed," Narcissa said, tears in her eyes. 

"Mum, they can protect both of you, like they've been doing for me," Draco said. "Please, come with us." 

"What if he finds us?" Lucius countered. 

"He won't," Andromeda insisted. "We'll be hiding you in the same place Draco has been and he's been fine. So please, come with us." The two stared at each other for a moment before looking at Draco. 

"Look, I know you're scared of him," I said, drawing their attention back to me. "But believe me, we can and will protect you." 

"Why would you?" Narcissa asked. "You are part of the reason Lucius was locked up, you are practically siblings with Harry Potter." 

"I care about Draco and he cares about you," I retorted, glancing anxiously down the alleyway. "We don't have much time." 

"Mum, please," Draco said, trying to convince her. Finally, she nodded. 

"Finally," I muttered. I grabbed onto the two of them and we all apparated with a popping sound. The moment we came inside, Fred removed his disguise, causing the older two Malfoys to look at him in shock. "I believe you've met my husband, Fred Weasley?" They nodded slightly awkwardly. And if there was one word to describe the next month, that would be it...awkward. Oftentimes, I would escape with Andromeda, Draco, and Fred out to the back to play Quidditch just to get away from the awkward tension. 

On one such occasion, they were interrupted by furious shouting from inside the house. Looking confused, we all dropped our brooms and rushed inside. Narcissa, the only one of the couple to still have a wand, had her wand drawn and pointed at Remus, Tonks, Arthur, Bill, and Kingsley, who all also had their wands drawn. 

"Everyone, lower your wands!" I shouted in irritation. 

"Valerie," Remus said in surprise. 

"Now," I ordered. They all did, but still were casting each other suspicious looks. Tonks rushed to her mother as I got pulled to the side by Remus. 

"What is going on here?" he demanded. 

"Draco saved my life and consequently had to escape," I explained. "We received a message through Patronus from Bellatrix. She all but threatened to kill Narcissa if Draco didn't turn himself in so we rescued them both." Remus, Tonks, and Kingsley all looked at me like I was mad. "I did what I thought I had to do and I don't regret it. Now, why are you lot here?" 

"Harry has shown up at Hogwarts," Arthur explained. "We believe a battle is impending." 

"Then I'm going with you," I insisted. 

"Wait, Valerie," Draco said. I turned and saw him looking a mixture of scared and hesitant before he said, "I want to come to." 

"Draco, they will kill you on sight," I replied. 

"I've spent too long living in fear of him," he replied. "Now, I want to fight him." For the first time, I saw a strength in his expression that I had never seen before. 

After thinking a moment, I nodded. 

"Fred, are you coming too?" I asked. 

"Of course," he replied. 

"Good," I said. "Andromeda, you stay here with Narcissa and Lucius." She nodded. 

"Draco, you need a wand," I added. 

"Here," Narcissa offered, handing over her own. "Be careful, Draco." He nodded and embraced his mother. 

"We need to be going," Remus said, glancing at the time. I nodded and Fred, Draco, and I followed them out the door. Once we were out of range of the protection spells, we apparated directly into a Hogsmead shop and went up the stairs and into a portrait. And so it begins.