46. Changes for the Purpler

Once the others had finally gone, I turned to face Dad. "Please, explain," I said. 

"That ring was your mothers," he said. "She used to wear it all the time."

"Did she wake up with bruises like this?" I asked. 

"No," Dad admitted. "But she told me that she did when she was first given the ring by her mother. That box I gave you was hers. She had put some things in it before she died. That's the stuff that I gave you. I don't know much about the ring, but...I know that it is magic, magic that neither I nor many can or ever will understand."

"What do you mean?" I asked. 

"Your mother was one of the most powerful witches to have ever lived," Dad said. "And I think that it was in part because of that ring. Even it has changed. It was blue when your mother had it." 

"What do I do, Dad?" I asked. 

"I don't know," he admitted. "Just, keep it with you always. No one can ever take that ring from you ever, okay? I don't care who they are. You need to protect it with your life." I nodded. 

"I should go," I said. He nodded. Instead of changing forms, I walked out of the cave and started walking down the path to go back to Hogwarts. The sun was beginning to set and one or two stars were beginning to appear. The sun had completely fallen as I reached the bottom of the mountain. 

In the starlight, the ring against my chest began to glow. Curiously, I unclasped the chain and stared at it. Flecks of blue were beginning to shine through the stone. The light from the ring was so great it was indiscernible in brightness from the light of the stars. Curiously, I held the ring, allowing the chain to slip through and fall to the ground. 

Mesmerized by the light, I slipped the ring onto my left middle finger. Instantly, a harsh wind sprang up, whipping around my ankles and knees with such force I was knocked to the ground. Purple light surrounded me on every side, coming from three balls of purple fire suspended in the air. 

The first suddenly rushed towards me, hitting my chest. Instantly, a harsh burning sensation appeared and I screamed out in pain. Gasping for breath and with tears in my eyes, I looked up to see the second fireball coming towards me. 

The same pain. The third came and this time, I scream out and it echoed through the valley. The light was all gone and I lay panting on the ground, my eyes closed. Drawing deep breaths, I finally managed to open my eyes. 

Shakily, I got to my feet. The ring had gone back to normal and looked as it always had. Unnerved, I changed forms and flew back to Hogwarts and to bed. 

The next morning, I woke up early, for the first time not having had one of those dreams. As it was Sunday and there were no classes, I dressed in black leggings and a white tank-top. Once I was dressed, I looked in the mirror. 

I had to prevent myself from gasping out loud. My hair and eyes were both a vibrant purple. My eyes were a deep purple while my hair was lighter. I swallowed, but with no other option, I went downstairs. As it was about six in the morning, no one else was up yet. Tying my purple hair up in a ponytail, I headed down to the Quidditch pitch. 

In the cool morning air, I began to run laps. Why I enjoy running so much I can never really explain, but it was certainly good exercise and was also a good way to get out into the fresh air. After a few hours, I came to a stop, panting heavily. Heading back inside, I came across Fred and George as they headed down to breakfast. 

"Hey," I said with a smile. 

"Nice hair," George said. 

"Oh, thanks," I said, tucking a stand behind my ear. 

"When did you dye it?" Fred asked, grabbing my hand. 

"Last night," I said, walking with them to breakfast. "You guys hungry?" 

"Always," they said. I smiled and we sat down to eat. 

At long last, the Easter holidays arrived, and with it, more time to spend with Fred. I had been so busy with school and worried about the ring I had had hardly any time with him. It wasn't until late the first night of the Easter holidays that we were sitting together in the common room and got to really talk and hang out. 

"So, how have you been?" I asked, laying my head against his shoulder. "Seems we haven't gotten to hang out or talk in a while." 

"I'm alright," he said. "I've been missing you, though." I smiled, grabbing his hand in mine. 

"Fred, I need to tell you something," I said, sitting up to face him, still holding his hand. 

"What is it?" he asked, looking worried. 

Biting my lip, I admitted, "Fred, I didn't dye my hair and I didn't spell it to be this color." He opened his mouth to speak, but I interrupted, "It changed on its own, so did my eyes." 

"But how-"

"This ring," I said, holding it up for him to see. "It was my mother's and when I put it on...my hair and eyes changed and...there were these balls of fire that just..." I stopped. "I sound crazy." 

"No, Val, you don't," Fred interrupted. "Just tell me exactly what happened." 

After looking at him for a moment, I explained, "These balls of fire were just floating in the air and then they came flying at me. Three of them. I don't know what it means. Fred, I don't know what's happening to me." 

"Hey, hey, I'm here," he promised, wrapping his arms around me. "I'm here."