34. The Quidditch World Cup

"Valerie?" Hermione's voice called, catching my attention. Looking up, I saw her heading towards me. Crouching down next to me, she asked, "Are you okay? Fred told us what happened."

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine," I said, wiping away the few tears I had. "I-I'm not upset because of that, I just...I can't stand yelling. I have this-this emotional response every time I get yelled at."

"Ah," she said. "Well, we're about to go to look around at the souvenirs if you're okay now?"

"Yeah, I'll go," I said, getting to my feet. Ignoring Fred, I walked with Bill and Charlie as they looked at the souvenirs at the carts now lining the walkways. I stayed silent as they chatted back and forth about the match. "Thank you," I said quietly, handing over some money for an Ireland rosette. Pinning it to my sweatshirt, I turned back to Bill and Charlie. I was thankful that neither Bill or Charlie said anything to me about Fred, nor did anyone else as we walked to the stadium a little later on.

The Top Box was a long way up and took a long time to get there. When we finally got to our seats, I sat down at the far far end next to Bill. I stared around the stadium, not listening to anything until I heard...

"Ah, and here's Lucius." Turning, I spotted three of my cousins, Lucius, Narcissa, and Draco.

"Ah, Fudge," Lucius greeted, shaking hands with him. "How are you? I don't think you've met my wife, Narcissa? Or our son, Draco?"

"How do you do, how do you do?" Fudge replied. "And allow me to introduce you to Mr. Oblansk - Obalonsk - Mr. - well, he's the Bulgarian Minister of Magic, and he can't understand a word I'm saying anyway, so never mind. And let's see who else - you know Arthur Weasley, I daresay?"

"Good lord, Arthur," Lucius remarked quietly. "What did you have to sell to get seats in the Top Box? Surely your house wouldn't have fetched this much?" My jaw clenched.

Fudge, who had been paying attention to something else, said, "Lucius has just given a very generous contribution to St. Mungos's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, Arthur. He's here as my guest."

"How - how nice," Mr. Weasley replied tensely as Lucius looked at Hermione, his lip curling.

"Move on, Lucius," I snapped, catching his attention.

"Now, now, Valerie," he replied with fake warmth. "Is that any way to speak to family?"

"Blood doesn't make you family," I countered calmly. "Just like blood doesn't make you royalty." Draco's expression shifted, his eyes landing on me.

"You bring shame on the entire Black line," Lucius spat.

Smirking, I replied, "Good." His expression soured, but he said no more and moved to his seat. Ludo Bagman began talking about the different teams, but I wasn't listening.

"And now, without further ado," Bagman's voice said, breaking into my thoughts. "Allow me to introduce...the Bulgarian National Team Mascots!"

"I wonder what they've brought," Mr. Weasley remarked. "Ah, Veela." Instantly he took off his glasses and polished them hurriedly on his robes.

"What are veel-" Harry began, but he broke off as a hundred of them streamed on the field. Bill quickly plugged his ears and shut his eyes, blocking out the music and sight of the dancing women. They were some of the most beautiful women I had ever seen in my life. Self-consciously, I tucked my hair behind my ear. Glancing over, I saw the rest of the boys looking like they were in a trance. Hermione and Ginny both met my eyes, giving me the same 'seriously' look I probably had on my face.

"Harry, what are you doing?" Hermione asked as he stood, putting his foot on the edge of the Top Box. The music stopped and Harry blinked. Rolling my eyes, I pulled Harry back down to sit, reaching across Bill who had opened his eyes.

"And now," Ludo said, "kindly put your wands in the air for the Irish Team Mascots!" Instantly, a large green and gold form swirled over the field before a rainbow streamed across it. Next a great, shimmering Shamrock appeared over the field and what seemed to be gold showered the crowd. Once they were gone, Ludo said, "And now, ladies and gentlemen, kindly welcome the Bulgarian National Quidditch Team! I give you Dimitrov! Ivanova! Zolgraf! Levski! Vulchanov! Volkov! And Krum!"

With each name, a red streak sped on the field. "That's that's him!" Ron yelled.

"And now, please greet the Irish National Team! Presenting Connolly! Ryan! Troy! Mullet! Moran! Quigley! And Lynch!" Seven green streaks appeared. "And here, all the way from Egypt, our referee, acclaimed Chairwizard of the International Association of Quidditch, Hassan Mostafa!"

"Here we go," I said anxiously, sitting up with a smile as I watched.

"They're off!" Ludo cried. I barely listened to him as I watched the fluidity with which the Ireland chasers passed the ball back and forth.

"Woah," I breathed, watching them. I was so lost in the beauty of their movements that I wasn't even paying attention to the score. Leaning towards Bill, I said, "I think I'm in love." Bill chuckled. I was in a complete daze until the game finished, Krum catching the snitch, but Ireland winning. Jumping to my feet, I screamed a cheer. The Top Box was suddenly illuminated and the Bulgarian team came up the stairs. They each shook hands with the two ministers.

Next came the Irish team. I was smiling widely as I saw the three chasers walk passed. Soon they left again and did another victory lap around the stadium. Bill and I were avidly talking about the match as we headed down to stairs to go to our campsite when Fred called to me, "Valerie!" I sighed, stopping so he could catch up to me. "Can we talk?"

"Sure," I said, beginning to walk with him.

"Look, I'm sorry," he said. "It's not your fault that you have money and I don't."

"It's okay," I replied, smiling at him. "I should've been more sensitive."

"I-I'm sorry I made you so upset," Fred said.

"Oh, that wasn't you," I said. "Well...it was, but...it was the yelling, not what you were actually saying. I hate yelling."

"Well, I'm sorry, Val," he said.

"It's okay," I chuckled.

"So we're good?" Fred asked.

"Yeah, we're good," I replied. Fred smiled, kissing my cheek. Everyone else went for some hot chocolate, but I went to the girl's tent and got in bed. Turning to face the wall, I closed my eyes to go to sleep.