5. Family Relations

Most everyone had settled down for the feast before Harry, Hermione, and Professor McGonagall came into the room. McGonagall instantly made her way over to me. "Miss Black, would you come with me please?" Sharing an uncertainly look with Fred and Angelina, I got to my feet and followed behind her to her office.

"What is it?" I asked, fiddling with my ring nervously.

"How are you?" she asked after a moment's hesitation. I didn't say anything, surprised. "We all heard what happened to you and many of us sent a dozen or so letters to the Minister of Magic to try and have you released, but it seems they were determined."

"Thank you," I replied uncertainly. "I, uh, I'm okay."

"Are you?" she countered, raising an eyebrow.

"No," I admitted with a sigh. "I can't eat. I can't sleep. All I can think about is my father and Azkaban."

"Naturally," she replied with a small nod.

"And Remus keeps telling me to keep my head down and not start trouble, but I don't start trouble. I really don't," I said.

"Well...I suppose not," McGonagall replied. "Not in the usual sense, at least. Although one might argue that jumping into situations you're not apart of is starting trouble."

"I won't just like bullies like Malfoy and Flint be cruel," I retorted.

With a small smile, McGonagall remarked, "You remind me of your father. He did his fair share of teasing and sometimes bullying, but whenever he saw someone going too far, he'd jump in and defend them as if they were James."

"No one ever talks to me about him," I said quietly. "They all think he's guilty."

"Don't you?" she countered, brows raised.

"No," I admitted. "I don't think he did it."

"What evidence could you possibly have that he didn't?" McGonagall countered.

After a pause, I admitted, "I...I remember him sometimes. I don't know if I made it up or if it was real, but...I have this dream about him."

"What happens in the dream?"

"Dad is running around and he's mad at himself for something," I explained. "Then he crouches down in front of me and he says 'I promise, whatever happens, I'll come back to you, Raven.' And then he picks me up, kisses my forehead and hugs me and then he leaves." McGonagall had paled drastically.

"What is it?" I asked, brow furrowed.

After a moment, she admitted, "From the moment you were born, he called you Raven. Did Remus tell you about that?"

"No," I replied. "He doesn't tell me anything about my dad."

After a small pause, she said, "Well, we should get to the feast."

"Oh please no," I countered. "They're all already in there. I don't want to draw more attention to myself."

"Very well then," she consented. With a flick of her wand, food appeared before me. "You may eat in here and then return to Gryffindor Tower. The password is Fortuna Major." I nodded in thanks and she left. After I had forced down a half of a sandwich, I headed to the tower. No one else had arrived yet and there were just a few house elves moving trunks and things into the dorms.

"Hello," I greeted with a smile as I approached my section where a house elf was warming my bed.

"Just a minute, Miss," the elf squeaked, seeming ashamed of itself.

"No, it's all right," I promised. "I came early so it's no trouble. What's your name?"

"Hocky, Miss," she replied, finishing up with my bed.

"It's nice to meet you," I replied, smiling faintly. Crouching down beside her, I asked, "Hocky, would you mind doing something for me?"

"Of course not," she replied, looking delighted at the prospect.

Smiling back at her, I asked, "Could you bring me a sleeping draft? I know they have some in the hospital wing."

"Hocky can do that," she replied.

"Thank you," I replied just as she disappeared with a snap. A few moments later, she reappeared with a small bottle which she handed to me.

"Hocky hopes it helps, Miss," Hocky said.

"I hope so too," I replied. "I'm Valerie, by the way."

"Hocky really must be getting on, Miss Valerie," she said sadly. "But call for Hocky if you need anything."

"I will," I promised and she disappeared. Setting aside the sleeping draft, I began to settle in my things in the drawers and settling out my books and finally packing my bag. Once I had finished and began searching for my sleeping clothes, I heard people begin to get into the dorms. The door finally opened and Alicia and Angelina entered looking rather tired. Katie was also behind them, even though she was a grade below us and in a different dorm. Alicia and Katie both froze at the sight of me and I felt my stomach churn.

"Val, there you are," Angelina said, pretending not to notice the tension that had just risen in the room. "I didn't see you at dinner."

"McGonagall pulled me aside," I explained. "She wanted to talk to me after the whole thing with the dementor."

"Ah," she replied. After another few minutes of tense silence, Angeline sighed, "Guys, are we seriously going to do this?"

"Yes," Katie snapped. "Her father killed my uncle!"

"No, he didn't," I said quietly, not ready to fight but unable to not defend my father.

"Are you serious right now?" she scoffed. "I'll see you later, Alicia." She stormed out, leaving the three of us in awkward silence.

"So what," I scoffed, glancing at Alicia. "You hate me to?"

"He's not innocent," she insisted, causing me to roll my eyes. "But, you aren't him so we're good, but don't tell Katie, she'd never talk to me again if you knew I just said that."

"Yeah, whatever," I sighed, turning to change for bed. I changed into sweatpants and a tank top before moving to the mirror to braid my hair. When I saw stopped me in my tracks. On my throat was a handprint. It was red and seemed like a burn. Shuddering, I got in bed. Once I was under the covers, I quickly pulled down the curtains and took my sleeping draft. Soon I was fast asleep.