99. Black-Wealsey

"So why can't we go to Grimmauld Place?" Harry asked as I came into the kitchen for breakfast. 

"Dumbledore was our secret keeper," I explained, grabbing a cup from the cupboard. "With him gone, everyone becomes one so it isn't safe anymore." 

"So you haven't been able to go home?" Harry replied. 

"No," I sighed. "I feel bad. I left Kreature all alone with barely an explanation." 

"I'm sure he's fine, babe," Fred replied, kissing my cheek. 

"We must decide 'ow you will be disguised, 'Arry," Fleur said. "For ze wedding. Of course, none of our guests are Death Eaters, but we cannot guarantee at zey will not let something slip after zey 'ave 'ad champagne." 

"Yes, good point," Molly agreed. "I've been meaning to talk to you about the wedding. Valerie, Fred, I know you've been planning to have this as a double wedding, but-" 

"It's not safe," I filled in with a sigh. "Yeah." 

"Mum, what if Valerie and I have a small ceremony the day before and then we can share receptions?" Fred suggested. 

"Would you be alright with that, Valerie?" Molly asked. 

"Sure," I replied with a shrug. "I've got everyone I need right here so long as Remus can come too." My mind quickly went over the wedding before a lump suddenly formed in my throat. My smile falling, I got up and left. The moment they couldn't see me anymore, I rushed into the first bedroom I saw, breaking down into tears. 

"Valerie?" Hermione said from where she was sitting in the corner. I looked up in surprise, trying and failing to cover my tears. She got up, rushing over to me and wrapping her arms around me. I cried, hugging her back and trying to take in deep breaths to calm down. "What's wrong?" 

"I just-" I began, attempting to steady my voice enough to talk. "I-I realized that my..." I broke off, crying harder. "Dad c-can't walk me down the aisle." She hugged me tighter as I continued to cry. 

"Val, where'd you-" Fred began, stepping into the room before he saw what was going on. Brows furrowed, he crouched down beside me. Hermione awkwardly got up, leaving me alone with him. "Babe, what's wrong?" I fell into his arms, crying into his chest as he held me close, running his hands through my hair. I slowly began to calm, my breathing evening out and my heart rate slowing. 

My tears lay drying against my cheeks as I, fighting to remain calm, explained, "Dad can't walk me down the aisle." A sympathetic sigh left his lips as he held me closer. 

"What do you want to do instead?" he asked. 

"I guess ask Remus, but..." I broke off, beginning to cry again. "I wanted it to be him." 

"I know," he replied, kissing the top of my head. 

...........................................................................................

"Remus?" I said quietly, stepping into the living room. Harry, for once sensing this wasn't a conversation he should be here for, got up and left us alone. Swallowing painfully, I sat down, clutching my hands together tightly. 

Frowning, he set aside his book and asked, "Valerie, what's wrong?" 

"I was wondering," I said slowly. "If maybe you would walk me down the aisle." 

"Of course," he replied cautiously. "Are you okay with that?" 

"I'm trying to be," I replied softly, refusing to meet his eyes. 

"I'm sorry, Val," he said. Giving him a wobbly smile, I got up and left him be. 

..................................................................

"You ready to see?" Ginny asked, smiling as she finished with my makeup and Hermione finished with my hair. I nodded, standing and moving over to the mirror. The dress was strapless with a sweetheart neckline and corset top. The bottom of the white dress fell in waves of silk to the ground. My hair had been done in a half-up/half-down style, the rest of it falling in beautiful purple curls. 

Ginny had decided to give me a dark purple lip and shimmery gold for my eyeshadow and cat eyeliner. Smiling, I said, "I love it. Thank you, both of you." I hugged them both in turn. Ginny and Hermione were my bridesmaids and were dressed in purple dresses. Nervously, I looked in the mirror again. I was beautiful. I frowned, realizing I had never really thought that about myself. Well, that's concerning. 

Before I could think more on it, Molly burst in, demanding, "Are you girls ready yet?" I nodded and we headed out. Fred and I were getting married in the same tent as Bill and Fleur so that we wouldn't have to do more setting up anywhere else. Just outside the house, I saw Remus waiting for me. I smiled, taking his arm and ignoring the slight pang in my chest. 

Soon music started up and we walked towards the tent. Fred stood at the end, looking as handsome as ever. I couldn't help but smile as we came closer. He seemed to be entranced. Remus stopped when we came to the end of the aisle, gave me a quick hug, and then went to his seat at the front. 

Ron, Harry, Hermione, Ginny, George, Arthur, Charlie, Molly, Remus, Tonks, Fleur, Bill, Monsieur Delacour, Madame Delacour, and Fleur's little sister Gabrielle were the only ones in attendance. Fred took my hands in his own as the minister began to talk. It all passed in a blur until he slipped the ring on my finger and I did the same. 

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride," he said. Cupping my cheek, Fred pressed his lips to mine. I was blushing when he pulled away, my eyes light with happiness as I smiled widely. "Introducing for the first time, Mr. Fred Weasley and Mrs. Valerie Black-Weasley." I kissed Fred again, the applause and sobs, the ladder from Mrs. Weasley, was drowned out by my own happiness.