81. Connections and What's to Come

A few days later, I was let out and was heading down the hallway. As I was walking back to my dorm, I sighed, spotting Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, and Harry. "You're dead, Potter," Draco spat.

"Funny," Harry retorted. "You'd think I'd have stopped walking around."

"You're going to pay," Draco fumed. "I'm going to make you pay for what you've done to my father."

"Well I'm terrified now," Harry retorted sarcastically. "I s'pose Lord Voldemort's-" they all looked terrified at the sound of the name "-just a warm-up act compared to you three - what's the matter? He's your dad's mate, isn't he? Not scared of him, are you?"

"Potter, that's enough," I sighed. Harry looked up, giving me a sympathetic look. "Just run along, now." Harry looked like he was going to retort, but one look at my weary appearance and he just left.

"What? Expect a thank you?" Draco spat.

"No, I want to talk to you," I countered, grabbing his robes. I dragged him away from the others and out of earshot of everyone around. "How are you?"

"Wha-" he began angrily.

"Draco," I interrupted. "I lived with my father in prison. I know some of what this is like for you. Are you okay?" He looked for a brief moment like he was going to take down his barriers, but the next moment they were up again.

"I'm fine," he snapped arrogantly. "But Potter won't be next time I see him."

"Draco," I sighed irritably. "Listen, I'm only going to say this once. This summer, Voldemort-" he flinched "-is going to try and make you join him. Don't even deny it. I just want you to know that you have a choice. If you don't want to make that choice, then you can come to me. I'm an adult now and I can protect you if you want."

He scoffed, but his eyes betrayed the longing and fear in his eyes. "Draco, please, just think about it, okay? You can be so much more than they want you to be."

I turned to walk away, but he said, "Wait, Valerie." I turned back, looking at him curiously. "I'm sorry about your father." I gave him a small, appreciative smile, trying to ignore the lump that formed quickly in my throat. I didn't trust my voice so I nodded and left.

......................................................................................

"You asked to see me, Professor?" I said, sitting down in Dumbledor's office.

"Ah, yes," he replied. "I was informed that you are having trouble with your career plans for next year."

"Unless you're offering me the Defence Against the Dark Arts position," I replied. "I don't want to be abroad as a Curse-Breaker and Quiddich doesn't sound like a good idea."

"The teaching position is going to Professor Snape," Dumbledore replied.

"What about potions?" I asked, brows furrowed.

"I'm currently working on that," he said. "However, there is another job that was just vacated that I think you could fill quite easily."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Madam Hooch has decided to retire," Dumbledore explained. "I wish for you to take over as our Flying Instructor and Official Referee. It's twelve-thousand gallons per year with food and housing covered for the school year and the two weeks before and after school. You would also handle the overflow of detention if a teacher does not have a specific task in mind and help with the security around the school."

"Yeah, I'll consider it," I said quickly, giving a real smile for the first time since-

"Also, I wanted to speak to you about your father," Dumbledore admitted. My smile fell. "We recently came across his will. A third of his money was given to Harry, but the rest was left for you. Number 12 Grimmauld Place was also left for you. He also left you this." Reaching into his desk drawer, Dumbledore drew out a six by nine-inch package wrapped in brown paper. I took it from him, my hand shaking.

Tearing the paper, I saw that it was a large book. I frowned, opening it to a random page. Inside, I saw hundreds of pages with my father's handwriting covering them. "What is this?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Apparently Sirius spent a long time writing while he was in the house," Dumbledore replied. I flipped to the front page to see a letter written in the cover.

Dear Raven,

I guess I never told you why I call you that. When I thought your mother had died, you were the only light left in my life apart from James. The first night I had to stay up late with you, I had a conversation with your godparents...

"Hey, Padfoot," James said, sitting down next to me as I held Valerie in my arms. "How is she?"

"She can't sleep," I replied, watching as she shifted in my arms, nestling against my shoulder. "I think she's getting sleepy, though."

After a pause, James asked, "How are you?"

I frowned, admitting, "I'm honestly just trying not to think about it." Lily came into the room, sitting next to James.

"Does being around Valerie help?" she asked.

"Yeah," I admitted. "Hard to think about Petra when I have a screaming child in my arms. I didn't expect to be a father this soon."

"Maybe she'll be like an older sister to James and I's kids," Lily said.

"Parenting is weird," I said. "It doesn't make sense."

"Sounds like nighttime," James said.

"Nighttime?" Lily laughed.

"Well, it's like...all mysterious," James defended weakly. "And strange. Like a Raven."

"Raven," I repeated, looking down at Valerie who shifted slightly, closing her eyes and beginning to drift off. "Goodnight, Raven."

...Anyway, Raven, if you're reading this then it means that something happened to me. Either that or you stumbled upon this. Either way, I'm glad you have it. Something I realized the other day when we were talking was how little you know about my time at Hogwarts and even my childhood. Since you didn't grow up hearing those stories, I thought I'd write them all down for you just in case something happens and I can't tell you myself. I love you, Raven.
Love,
   Dad

Wiping away my tears, I shut the book and looked up at Dumbledore. "Thank you," I said quietly, giving him a tearful smile. He smiled in return.