66. Toxic Masculinity

Based off of real events.

"What do you mean he likes you?" I asked, brows furrowed.

"I don't know," Katie whispered harshly. "I just heard about it and I don't know what to do now!"

"What's happening?" Angelina asked.

"Jamie Gordon happened," I said, rolling my eyes and looking at Angelina.

Her eyes widening, Ange asked, "Didn't he date Alicia?" I nodded. "Yeah?"

"Apparently he likes Katie," I explained.

"Speak of the devil," Katie muttered before plastering on a fake smile.

"Gordon," I said dryly. Jamie was...alright, to an extent. He used to hang out with Fred, George, and Lee, but ever since the breakup with Alicia, he didn't want to hang out with them much. As for my relationship with him, I think he's toxic. I mean, come on. He was so obsessive and insecure during his relationship with Alicia that it made me uncomfortable. Not to mention how he tries to emotionally manipulate me to help him with his lower-year classes.

"Black," he replied, slightly nervously. Turning to Katie, he asked, "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Sure," Katie replied, giving Angelina and me a look. She moved with him to the side of the Great Hall. Angelina and I sat down, casting nervous glances at Jamie and Katie.

"Morning," Fred said, sitting down beside me with George and Lee. When I didn't respond, he followed my gaze and asked, "What's wrong?"

"Gordon is telling Katie that he likes her," I said irritably.

Lee sighed, "I told him not to say anything."

"This won't end well," George said with a sigh. I groaned, laying my head on the table.

"I hate drama," I muttered. After a few minutes, Katie came back and sat down beside us. Sitting up, I asked, "How bad?"

"Bad," she said. "He was trying to talk about it. I tried to let him down gently but... "

"He can't handle rejection," I said bitterly. "Let's just hope that's the end of it."

"Hope so," Fred said irritably.

As the week progressed, tension in the common room began to grow as Gordon continued to glare at everyone who interacted with Katie. By the end of the week, we were all so tired of it that most of us were about to snap at him. At long last, the weekend came and it was Saturday. After sleeping in and a long morning or working, we met up at three to eat with Katie, Lee, Fred, George, Angelina, Alicia, and I.

"Hey," I said, sitting down with them. To my annoyance, Gordon sat down next to me. I rolled my eyes and got my food, trying to ignore him. There was a tired-sounding hoot and an owl fluttered in front of Katie. She took the letter and quickly read over it, suddenly becoming awkward.

"Uh, Val," she said, handing it to me. "What should I say?"

Hey Katie,
I was wondering if you wanted to hang out?
                                      - Rodger Davis

My eyebrows shot up and I glanced up at her. "Yikes," I said, handing it back.

"What's happening?" Fred asked.

Katie opened her mouth to speak, but Gordon said bitterly, "Oh nothing, she's just rejecting another guy." I rolled my eyes and shot him a warning glare.

"Gordon," Katie sighed. I lay my head on the table and groaned, gently banging my head on the table.

"Fred, let's go," I said, grabbing his hand. We both got up and started to leave. As we left the room, I realized I was still holding Fred's hand. I stared out over the lake as we came to it. "Hey, Fred," I said.

"What's up?"

"I was wondering if we could talk," I said.

"We are talking," he chuckled.

I chuckled, playfully punching his arm as I said, "Fred, I'm serious!"

"So what do you want to talk about?" Fred asked.

"I know we've been on a break for a while now, but...I think I'm finally back in a place where I can be in a relationship with you," I said. Fred turned to face me, grabbing my other hand. "If you're okay with that, of course."

"Of course I'm okay with it," he said. "I just want to make sure that you're okay."

"I'm okay," I said. "Because of you. So...?"

"Of course I want to be with you again," he said. Cupping his cheek, I went on tiptoe to press my lips to his. Fred's arms went around my waist as mine moved around his neck. Pulling away, Fred kissed my forehead.

................................................................

"Do you want me to beat him?" I asked, turning the page of my book and not looking up as Alicia and Angelina gave each other surprised looks at what Katie had just told us.

"No," Katie sighed. "He's just being an ass, it's fine. I'll deal with it."

"You shouldn't have to, though," Angelina said.

"Facts," I said.

Before we could say more, Gordon walked past and snapped, "For someone who claims to not like me, you sure seem to talk about me a lot."

Slamming my book shut, I retorted, "Stop being an ass, Gordon."

"I'm being an ass?" he yelled back.

I stood, yelling back, "Yes! You are! How is it her fault that she doesn't like you?! No one can control how they feel! You have NO right to snap at her, be mad at her, or be all pissed because your precious ego is bruised!"

"You're such a bitch, Valerie," Gordon screamed, taking a step towards me.

"Hey!" Fred shouted, coming down from his dorm. "Shut up about her."

"What, come down here to defend your bitch ex?" Gordon snapped back.

Fred moved in front of me retorting, "Shut up before I make you."

"What're you going to do about it, Weasley?" Gordon snapped back. "You couldn't even get her to stay with you, how could you-"

"Just shut up!" I yelled. Next moment, all hell broke loose. Gordon lunged at me but Fred jumped in the way, taking the hit meant for me. "Fred!" I yelped. George rushed in next and soon Lee joined the fray. At last, I shouted, "STOP IT!" All four boys stopped. "ALL OF YOU! You are acting like children."

"I couldn't agree more," McGonagall fumed from the portrait hole. Everyone looked over and I let out a sigh, burying my head in my hands.