Happily Ever After

Author's Note: With Ridley and Vandel's wedding finally here, I wanted to take a look back at how far they've come, and all the amazing fanart that came along with them

Author's Note: With Ridley and Vandel's wedding finally here, I wanted to take a look back at how far they've come, and all the amazing fanart that came along with them. Thank you so much to everyone who's sent me art of them over the years. You have no idea how much this fanart has meant to me. I wasn't able to fit all of them, but you can find a feature of all the fanart I've recieved with credits on my Insta @Captancleanfreak. 

Ridley

The sun beamed down, bathing the clearing in a golden glow. I looked out among the humans and demons alike who populated it. The last time we'd been here had been for the Haunting Ball which now felt like it had happened centuries ago. It was decorated quite differently from back then. Garlands of flowers were draped from the trees and a large platform had been set up, every inch covered in light pink roses. Four large maypoles had been set up around the platform, brightly colored ribbons wrapped around them.

Annette stood beside me. She wore a light blue dress, flowers braided into her thick brown curls. She offered me a smile, laying a hand on my shoulder.

"Are you nervous?" she asked.

I offered her a small smile. "Compared to the countless times the three of us have nearly died, this seems like the easiest thing I've ever done in my life."

We glanced out at the humans and demons gathered before us.

"Even though we're finally at peace," Annette said slowly, "do you think after so much war and bloodshed they can put the past behind them and actually live side by side?"

"I wish I could give you an answer," I answered softly. "But the fact that they're all here together means there's at least hope."

As the words left my mouth, a faint stir of music rippled through the clearing. Instantly the crowd went silent. My heart nearly jumped into my throat at the sound of it before it took off thundering in my chest.

Annette smiled at me, eyes pressing into crescents. "It's time."

And then there he was.

It was like the world stilled when he appeared. His outfit didn't reflect his usual level of ostentation. Instead of adorning himself in jewels or silks, the only decoration he wore was a large garland of white flowers that stood out against his raven black hair.

His cheeks were flushed a light shade of pink and his eyes were bright as he made his way towards me.

He was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen in my life.

I hadn't even realized I'd begun to cry until the tears were already streaming down my cheeks.

Vandel was joined by Tuttle as he approached the platform and the two exchanged a small nod before he stepped up onto the platform beside me.

Annette glanced between us, flashing us a quick smile before she looked out over the crowd.

Her voice echoed through the clearing. "Welcome everyone. I doubt any of us expected to be here again, especially under such circumstances. But...what amazing circumstances they are. As a girl, I could never have imagined a future like this. A future where the Bone King, the Alterian Queen, and the Demon King could all stand here together, side by side. Once, living in peace seemed like a fantasy, but now I've seen it. I've seen humans and demons fighting side by side for the greater good. We can't let their sacrifice be in vain. The first steps towards a new future are hard and terrifying...but we can never move forward if we don't try."

"Excuse me," a voice suddenly called from the crowd. "Your Majesty, I'd like to speak, if I may."

My gaze snapped to the speaker and a jolt of panic shot through me.

Standing there was Erica.

Why was she interrupting the ceremony? I'd blacked out during the battle of the Bone King but I was sure she'd seen me do horrible things, even if it wasn't my own will to do them. I swallowed hard. Erica had always despised demons. Did she intend to paint the two of us as monsters and destroy the uneasy peace we were trying so desperately to create?

Erica stepped forward now. The crowd had gone dead silent, waiting with bated breath to see what she was about to say.

The knight let out a low exhale. "Ridley, I've known you for a long time," she began. "We trained and were knighted together. I'm sure it comes as no surprise that you weren't the most popular among your fellow knights. You always seemed so distant...so unreachable. Like you were always trying to achieve some kind of impossible perfection. But in the end, despite all of it, you were the one person who selflessly protected Alteria without fail. When everyone ran away...you were the one who was always there for the people who needed you." Erica swallowed hard, her gaze flickering to Vandel. "And you, King Vandel. I always thought demons to be nothing but monsters, but in our time of need, you protected the humans in the Bone King's kingdom. You were willing to sacrifice your life for us and..." she lowered her head, bowing before him. "The only reason I'm alive today is because of you. Your Majesty, no matter what my fellow humans may say, I'd like to make it known that I think you're a hero."

"He saved us as well," a voice piped up from the back of the crowd. We looked to see a girl standing there, surrounded by a few other humans who were nodding in agreement. She'd grown older since I'd seen her last, but I realized with a start that she was one of the pets we'd saved.

The girl beamed up at us. "If it weren't for King Vandel and Ridley, we'd all be dead or tortured. They're heroes. Both of them! " The other freed pets had begun to cheer now and it was like a ripple through the crowd. Applause, smiles, and happy shouts overtook the clearing.

Annette took a step forward, raising a hand to quiet the crowd.

"They saved my life as well," she said. "I wouldn't be standing here if it weren't for their bravery. And I think I speak for both of them when I say, I doubt either would have become so brave if it weren't for the other. That's why, I couldn't be more honored to marry them as we bring in a new era of peace for our people." She offered me a small smile. "Are you ready?"

I nodded before finally turning to face Vandel. My heart was pounding in my chest. I felt so warm and light, like I was walking on air and would never come down.

"You're still crying," Vandel whispered.

I let out an embarrassing little sniffle, wiping my eyes with one hand. "It's because you're just so beautiful."

Vandel's eyes had begun to grow watery as well. "You're amazing," he breathed. "You're the most amazing and wonderful person I've ever met. I can't imagine my life without you."

I took his hands in mine. "And you don't have to. I'm right here."

Now we were both sobbing. Despite this, neither of our smiles ever faltered.

"I love you," he choked. "I love you so much it hurts."

"I understand," I answered softly, "because I feel the exact same way."

Annette gently rested a hand on my shoulder.

"Alright, lover boy," she said with a grin. "It's time." She looked out over the crowd. "Do you, Sir Ridley of Alteria, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband? To have and to hold, from this day forward, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, as long as you both shall live?"

Still crying, I smiled at him. "I do."

"And do you, King Vandel, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband? To have and to hold, from this day forward, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, as long as you both shall live?"

"I do." He grinned at me. "Obviously."

Annette was beaming. "Then, by the power invested in me as queen of Alteria, I now pronounce you...married! You may kiss the groom!"

And with that, we were leaning in, our lips finding one another as the world melted away. Around us, an explosion of cheers rang out.

My heart had never felt so full.

And in that moment I realized, this was the happiest I'd ever been in my life. 

Author's Note: Hi guys! It's me again! Next chapter is going to be a Q&A before the epilogue. Let me know any questions you have, whether it be about the story, the characters, my writing process, how the book or characters came to be, ect! I'm excited to answer your questions!