Vandel is Stressed

Author's Note: Some absolutely gorgeous fanart of Ridley and Vandel from @eemashareef on IG

Author's Note: Some absolutely gorgeous fanart of Ridley and Vandel from @eemashareef on IG. They both look so beautiful here! Also, I'm literally LIVING for  Vandel's extremely cannon expression. I find the chapter this week super funny because I wrote it waaaaaaaaay before quarantine happened haha.  

Vandel

This was...the absolute...FUCKING WORST.

I wasn't sure how many days had passed since I'd first been locked up. Vaguely judging from the amount of meals I'd received I was assuming maybe eleven or twelve. With the exception of planning for my increasingly potential wedding there was honestly nothing to do. During this period of time I trashed my room mid tantrum several times and then had been so bored that I ended up just cleaning everything up again. I'd spent at least fifteen hours overall on mirror time which...well...under the current circumstances was starting to lose a bit of its appeal. I had a short lived phase of trying to start up playing the violin again which ended with my violin eventually being hurtled across the room where it was still currently lodged in one of the walls.

Sighing heavily my gaze drifted to that awful portrait of Ridley that hung across from me.

"Wow...Boris really didn't do you any favors in this painting, did he? Can't say mixing up your eyes and nose is the best look for you." I sighed heavily, propping my head up with one hand. "Gods, Boris's non existent art skills aside, I doubt any painter would have been able to properly draw you, you're just so damn pretty that it's actually kind of infuriating. Would it have killed you to be a little less kind, and good, and beautiful, huh? I feel like that's not asking too much!" I looked to the dagger that was still lodged in between the two noses that were supposed to be his eyes. "Ah, simpler times. Why couldn't things have just stayed like that? The good ol' days, right Ridley? You and I hating each other, being nemeses. That was so much easier than..." I ran a hand through my hair, chuckling under my breath. "What the fuck am I doing? I'm talking to a fucking portrait. This is weird Vandel...like...really fucking weird, even for you. And...now I'm talking in third person to myself about myself. Fucking hellfire, twelve days of isolation can really do things to a man. Wait...has it been twelve days? I'm not actually sure. Well maybe, Vandel, if you had actually bought that calendar like you said you were going to for better scheduling then you would actually know. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME VANDEL! You knew fully well that your 'being super organized' phase was only going to last a week. Don't even get me started. I fucking hate you, you're the worst! No YOU are! NO YOU ARE! I'm LITERALLY you! Get your fucking shit together Vandel instead of wallowing here like a little bitch-"

And that's when the door suddenly creaked open.

I straightened, extremely eager to interact with literally WHOEVER was about to come through that door. Then I saw who it actually was and immediately became ready to happily accept another twelve days of isolation.

Standing there was Stefan.

I glared at him...then remembered the last time I saw him I was pretending to be super into him. Shit...was I allowed to go back to openly hating him? WHY HAD I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO THIS SITUATION? Maybe I could just play my feelings towards him off as casual indifference and make him go away. That seemed like a good plan, right?

I hit Stefan with the most deadpan stare I could possibly muster.

"How are you doing?" Stefan asked softly.

"Hmm, I don't know Stefan, I think I'm doing pretty dandy since you know how much I LOVE being chained up in my room for over a week. It's GREAT."

"I feel like you don't actually mean that-"

I chucked a vase of flower arrangements at him, the glass shattering right beside his head.

"OBVIOUSLY I DON'T FUCKING MEAN IT SHITHEAD! DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT FUCKING SARCASM IS YOU BREATHING PILE OF SHRIVELED UP LIMP DICKS!"

Okay...well so long for playing this off as casual indifference. Good job me. Fantastic work as always.

"I'm sorry there isn't more I could do. I tried to plead with your mother to try and let you out but she told me that this was for your safety."

So my mother hadn't told him I was locked in here for attempting to conspire against him. That was...odd. Why was she keeping him in the dark? At least by some miracle Stefan seemed to think I was simply angry about the situation and not at him.

Stefan's gaze darted to the floor. "Speaking of your mother, that's actually why I'm here." He slipped a thin piece of silver tinted paper into my hand. "She asked me to give this to you."

I arched a brow. "So delivering this is the only reason you're here?"

"Well it's the purpose of my visit but I only agreed to deliver it because I wanted to spend more time with you." UGGGGHHHHH. Gods could he be anymore annoying?

"Yeah, well you know who I want to spend time with? The coolest, handsomest and most well dressed person I know, ME! Vandel needs some alone time!"

"But haven't you been alone for almost two weeks. And...did you just refer to yourself in third person?"

"JUST GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY ROOM!" I chucked a book from the floor at him, striking the wall above his head.

"Alright, but only to show you what a kind and understanding husband I'm going to be. Also your aim still sucks-"

And that's when I chucked a second book that hit him directly in the balls. It took everything in me to not openly cackle as he practically kneed over.

"OOOOW, holy fucking hellfire....okay okay I'm leaving," he whimpered before finally slipping out the door. Thank the fucking Gods.

I finally looked to the piece of paper. Damnit, I couldn't believe my mother actually had the audacity to send me a shadow note. My mother would often send these to her enemies to play mind games with them, specifically so they'd be aware that it would be incredibly unwise to try and defy her. I sighed heavily. I couldn't believe our relationship had sunk to the point that she was sending these to her own son. It seemed like ages ago when the only major rift between us was my utter distaste for her love of goblins, specifically Boris.

I waved a hand over the piece of paper to activate it, causing dark inky words of thin black smoke to slowly curl up from the parchment.

'I found where you hid the princess. Too bad she's going to die for real this time.

Xoxo'

My stomach dropped.

The moment I had finished reading the letter the parchment turned to ash in my hand, slipping through my fingers. I watched it fall, my heart pounding in my chest as I did everything in my power to not completely lose my shit right then and there.

I knew my mother was aware Annette was still alive but I thought she wouldn't be able to find her exact location.

What was she planning to do?

Had she already done it?

Panic overtook me. Shitshitshitshit, c'mon Vandel...keep yourself together, you can't do anything if you have a meltdown right now.

There had to be something I could do, right?

I had to warn Ridley...I had to.

Which lead to the real question...HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO THAT?!"