The Castle of Black Glass

Tuttle

There is a specific way master Vandel prefers his tea. He'll only drink it if there's exactly two scoops of sugar so I am careful to always get the measurement right. I glanced now to a fellow servant, a maid Hetty. She was currently making Vandel's bed as I refilled his nightly cup of tea, the previous cup had already gone cold.

I stared her, trying to ignore the pins and needles of my nerves. "He's out rather late tonight isn't he," I mumbled offhandedly to Hetty, hoping my anxiety wouldn't show in my voice.

"He'll be back," she grumbled.

I stiffened. "He missed his evening tea. That almost never happens. What if he was captured by the humans or attacked by a monster..."

"He'll be fine," Hetty said monotonically. "He always is. He's like a cockroach in that respect."

I frowned at her. "He is your prince. How dare you refer to him like that!"

Hetty just gave a little shrug. "Sorry, a well dressed cockroach." As if on cue there was a sudden sound of feet striking the windowsill and suddenly prince Vandel slipped through the window butt naked into the room. Hetty immediately averted her gaze. Vandel was casually munching on a piece of bread as he stepped through. I rushed to grab him a black silken robe and as I held it out he slipped it on with only a little nod.

"How was your trip my lord?" I asked meekly.

Vandel smirked at me, running a hand through his dark hair. "Enlightening." He picked up the teacup from the side table it rested on and sunk down into the large purple velvet chair that sat by the fire bringing it to his lips. When he finally lowered it, the dancing flames of the fire were reflected back in his pitch black eyes. "The humans should be here soon."

Vandel

A day later an extremely loud screech from my violin sent Tuttle scurrying over to me, his head bowed.

"Sire," he said quickly. "Perhaps you should consider taking a quick break from your lessons for today because uh..." I turned to glare at him, the violin still tucked under my chin.

I pointed my bow at him accusingly. "Are you trying to suggest I sound bad? Is that why you're asking me to stop?"

Tuttle turned ashen, shaking his bald head violently. "No no no no sire. You sound like a dove, like a songbird on the strings like a...a...um...what I meant to say is...the only reason you might wish to stop is because I have just received word that the Alterian knights are approaching the castle."

"WHAT?!?" I practically chucked my violin across the room. "I didn't think they would be here for a few more hours!!! I'm not properly dressed yet! I've had my outfit planned for this for days! Uuugh this is the worst! I'm going to have to cut my morning exfoliation routine in half!" I dashed out of the room as fast as I could, skidding around a corner before finally sliding into my room. Damn, I had been looking forward to this conformation all week, I couldn't blow it because I miscalculated their arrival date. I snapped my fingers, causing my chosen outfit to fly from my large mahogany closet that took up half the wall. I slid off the ensemble I was currently wearing before holding out my arms allowing the magic to slip my new clothes onto me. Gold silken ribbons laced the garment up behind me as if done so by an invisible hand. I made my way to the mirror now fixing my hair so it fell just so...just the way I liked it. I gave my reflection a little wink before I dashed to the throne room, quickly plopping myself down in the large throne that sat at it's center. I then proceeded to strike the most menacing and suave pose I could think of.

A guard looked to me, a slight expression of concern on his face. "My liege...are you feeling alright? Your face looks a bit..."

I glared at him and he turned ashen, the words dying before they even left his mouth.