Not a Hero

Ridley

Screams echoed through the ballroom as demons began to run left and right, evacuating as quickly as possible. I gazed up at the beast, my entire body trembling. The thing was huge and resembled some sort of boar crossed with a bear. It towered over everyone, its head almost brushing the top of the giant ballroom. Even lord Lyell had thrown down his weapon, running with the others towards the exit. I instinctively fumbled for my sword only to remember with a start that Vandel still had it in a multidimensional pocket.

The beast let out a growl so loud that it shook the entire ballroom floor sending me to my knees. My breathing quickened as I scanned the room for anything I could use to defend myself. That's when the monster's gaze suddenly locked on me. I could feel its stare practically seething into my chest. It was going to lunge at me and I was completely and utterly defenseless.

And then all of a sudden the creature simply stopped.

It was as if the beast had been frozen in place. I glanced around and realized to my shock that the bone monster wasn't the only one. Glasses appeared to be frozen mid fall, the last of the demons escaping were stuck in place. It appeared everything around me was set on pause except myself. In panicked confusion I slowly rose to my feet.

"I stopped time for you," a calm voice said behind me. "I thought you might need a moment or two to collect yourself from your latest near death experience before lunging straight back into battle."

I spun around and came face to face with the man standing there. He was tall, white hair cascading down over his shoulders.

My eyes widened in recognition. "I know you...you're the man from my dream!"

The man nodded, smiling. "I'm glad you remembered. Dreams are usually the easiest way for me to contact my owner. Well...unless it's a dire situation. Once in awhile when something happens like this I really do need to take matters into my own hands."

I blinked, processing what he had just said. "Your...owner?"

The man nodded. "Yes, you own me. You have for awhile now."

I shook my head violently. "I...I don't know what you're talking about. I would never...I mean uh...I don't own anyone..."

The man laughed now. "Don't you recognize me? I've been by your side this entire time." He extended an arm, pulling up his sleeve to display a long line of shimmering diamonds curling up the length of his arm.

"Those diamonds," I whispered softly, "they're the same as my sword."

"So have you put it together yet?" The man let out a soft laugh. "I am your sword."

"Wait you're...you're Crystalbreaker?" This all seemed impossible yet here he was, standing before me.

The man nodded. "Yes, but you can just call me Crystal. I've been doing my best to watch over you all this time, just as I watched over your father."

I stared at him, wide eyed. "You knew my father?"

Crystal nodded. "Of course. I was his sword too after all. In fact, I'd even consider your father a close friend of mine. A sword is often a lifetime companion." He smiled at me now, reaching forward to give my hair a little ruffle. "He would be proud of you. I hope you know that." I felt a slight flutter in my chest at those words, I had worked my entire life to try and be someone my father could be proud of and the sword's words meant more to me than anything. Crystal cast a wayward glance towards the bone monster now. "Well," he said arching a brow. "Are you ready to fight it?"