The Demon Eater

Author's Note: Switching things up a little this week. Instead of fanart I wanted to share the official HvV playlist! These were all songs I listened to while writing the book that reminded me of the characters and story. I'd love to hear if any of you guys have any songs you'd like on a HvV playlist because I'm always looking to add more!

Playlist Link:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4UdHxp7fVrECsNGL0PbFq4?si=hiKs3HvgQXS1LxnDn7tUkg

Ridley

"Ridley, it's time to come back."

The second I heard the words, I felt myself being pulled into reality.

It was as if both my vision and mind were slowly coming back into focus, like waking up from a dream despite never actually being asleep.

Standing there was Vandel, looking over me with his pitch black eyes.

I jerked forward only to find myself restrained by the sharp nip of rope biting into my skin. Frantically, I looked around my surroundings, realizing I'd been tied firmly to a chair in the middle of a small room.

"I'm sorry about all of this. I didn't really have any other option but to tie you up knowing your track record of escaping from places you seriously have no business escaping from." Vandel sighed heavily, crossing his arms.

"How could you do it," I asked softly. "Why would you use the power you gained during what we...what we did...against me? After all the trust I put in you that you wouldn't..."

"I had to save your life." Vandel's expression was unreadable as he spoke. His lower lip quivered slightly but his voice remained firm. "Nothing else matters to me except that. I don't care if you resent me for the rest of your life, I don't care if it means I never get to be happy again because I've lost you forever. All I want...all I care about...is that you get to survive." He swallowed hard. "You still have so much to offer. How could I live with myself if I did nothing while such a light to the world was so pointlessly snuffed out?"

"So why me?" I choked out, trying to keep myself from crying in front of him yet again. "Why protect a human like me and not my father? My father was the kindest man in Alteria. He made the world a better place and you mercilessly slaughtered him in his own home. Why try so hard to save my life when you yourself cut his short?"

Vandel hesitated a moment, his gaze flickering to the floor before taking a deep breath.

"I didn't want to tell you," he said softly, hanging his head. "I thought it would be better for you to never find out. But...but now I see you're putting your life at stake and...fuck, I don't know what to do..."

"What's there to tell me?" I asked, trying my best to keep my voice from trembling. "Vandel, what aren't you telling me?"

"I...fuck...what if telling you makes everything even worse?" Vandel looked at me and his expression was so miserable that it made my heart feel like it was shattering in two.

I let out a low, shaky breath.

"You don't need to protect me," I said slowly. "Whatever you're trying to keep from me...I...I should know."

Vandel finally lifted his head.

"You sure?" he asked, his voice so quiet I could hardly hear it.

I nodded stiffly. "Yes. I'm sure."

Despite my words, my entire body was wrought with fear for whatever was about to come next.

Vandel took a deep breath and I saw his eyes had become slightly wet.