The Haunting Ball

Ridley

I stood in the empty training field bringing my sword down again and again on the dummy I had set up to practice with.

"Ridley!" I suddenly heard a voice call from behind me. I finally lowered my sword, wiping the sweat from my brow with my sleeve as I turned to look to the speaker. Percival was making his way over to me. His gaze moved from the sword in my hand to the dummy.

"Hi," I said. "Did you need something?"

Percival frowned. "Why are you still out here? The Haunting ball is tonight, you should be getting ready with everyone else, not training."

I shook my head. "On the contrary, I'm training extra because of it. The demons have been extremely unpredictable and hostile lately. If they try anything tonight I want to be ready."

Percival laughed. "Ridley I know neither of us have been alive for a haunting ball but even I know it's impossible for them to do anything. That's the entire point."

"That doesn't mean they might not try something when it's over..."

"You're being paranoid."

"But with good reason. They've already proven that they are willing to play dirty."

Percival lay a hand on my shoulder. "Ridley...seriously you just need to let this go. I want to fight the demons as much as you but sometimes you need to realize when it's time to stop pushing yourself. You shouldn't exert yourself this much, it's not good for you. Take a break, come hang out with me and the other knights. We're all playing a card game together right now. Camaraderie is just as important as training."

My mouth tightened into a thin line as he spoke. "I'm sorry Percival but I just can't...I need to be ready-" I was cut off by the sound of trumpets. We exchanged a glance, the sound was reserved only for royalty.

Percival's eyes widened. "Wait...no way do you think that's Stefan?"

We immediately rushed from the training field to the front of the palace. Almost everyone had gathered on the castle steps. My eyes widened. There in the distance was a small procession, a carriage behind it. Judging from the golden lion on the flag it could only be one person. The king and queen stood with Annette who seemed to be the most of excited of all. There was no way it wasn't prince Stefan. I couldn't believe he was back. Stefan was the second child of the royal family, born only ten months after Annette which also made him second in line for the throne. Four years ago he had begged to go to Pecore to continue his studies in astronomy and philosophy. After quite a bit of begging the royal family finally let him. Percival and I knew Stefan fairly well before he left. Percival and I had both been sons of noble knights and had been around his age. That meant that we once had been Stefan's playmates.

Finally the carriage came to a stop in front of the castle and prince Stefan stepped out. Practically any person attracted to men swooned when he appeared. These last four years had been kind to the prince. He had grown much taller and his long black hair had been brushed back. There was color in his sun kissed cheeks and he struck the crowd with a dazzling smile. He shook hands with members of the crowd, exchanging pats on the back and more smiles. When he reached his family he embraced them each tightly. Finally he made his way over to us. We both bowed.

Stefan laughed, shaking his head. "Come now, Percival, Ridley I think we're far past formalities."

"How was Pecore?" Percival asked, a smiled plastered to his face.

Stefan grinned. "Fantastic! I learned so much! I became very close with the crown prince there, Mikhos." He gave Percival a little pat on the back. "You two would like him, he's pretty amazing. You should see his swordsmanship! I have no idea where he learned to fight the way he does."