Chapter 35

We walked down the stairs to the beach. The stairs were steep so we had to be careful not to slip down. The stairs looked like they were about to crumble, but we didn't care. The old boards of wood creaked as we took each step. The rails were covered with overgrown vines, leaves, and other plants that I couldn't name.

"I remember when I was a kid my family and I used to go oyster hunting. My cousin and I liked to finger the holes and see if there were oysters inside." I laughed. "Now I'm hungry, did you bring any food." 

"A fuck ton," Clay took ahold of my arm to help me get down these goddamn awful stairs. 

I looked back at him, seeing that he wasn't carrying a bag or anything. "Fucking idiot, why didn't you bring any down with us," I slapped his arm that was holding me, making him fall down, his foot sliding down a couple steps as his back hit the wood of the steps. I started bursting out laughter, "What a fucking loser!"

"That was your fucking fault," Clay groaned in pain just before using his foot to sweep me off of my feet. 

I started sliding down the stairs, but my instincts quickly gripped onto the nearby rail. As soon as I gripped onto it, the piece of old wood snapped and broke off the rails. "What the fuck dude!" I chucked the piece of wood I just broke off at his direction, barely missing his face. I looked up to him who was still laying on the steps.

Clay wheezed, "You started it."

I chuckled, slowly getting myself back up as I dusk some dirt off of myself, "You invoked me." I climbed up a couple steps, putting my hand out for Clay to grab onto.

"Tch," He took my hand. "You know, you owe me a piggy back ride now."

I giggled, "I already gave you one when you were knocked the fuck out." I went on my tippy toes because he was on a higher step and slapped his forehead.

He rubbed his freshly slapped, stinging forehead, "You know I think you owe me a couple of those, we gotta even the slaps out."

"Shut up, you get more because you deserve more." We both went back to walking down to the beach, damn these stairs are long, "You couldn't have picked a better location?" I teased him, but In reality though, the place he chose was perfect. 

My foot almost slipped on another step, but Clay quickly grabbed my arm, "Be careful dumb fuck."

I let out a small laugh, "Still angry you didn't bring snacks down here, and we're not going back up there."

He rolled his eyes, "I brought them dumbass." He stopped walking and showed me a couple of small snacks like M&M's in the pocket of his hoodie.

"Good, I thought you were dumber than me for a second and you know we can't be having that," I turned and continued slowly walking down the old stairs.

We both finally arrived at the bottom of the beach. We took off both of our shoes, throwing both pairs next to a giant wooden log that sat on the sand. We both felt the sand in our feet. I took his hand, running towards a large flock of seagulls, almost making Clay trip. As we both ran to them screaming for no reason at all besides our own enjoyment they jumped up, spreading their wings to fly away from us. Their bodies glided through the air, the sky and ocean seemed complete with them in the image.

I dropped myself down at the sand, leaning on my hands that were holding me up behind my back. Clay sat down beside me, smiling like the idiot he was. He turned to me and tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear. I flinched at his touch of my hair, looking at him in the eyes. He was so close to me. I went for a kiss, but Clay beat me to it. He placed his soft lips on mine, pecking me on the lips. It was almost like he was teasing me, not letting me have more. He smirked as he sat back, leaning on his arms that were behind his back, like I was earlier, as he looked out at the ocean.

"Motherfucker," I mumbled just loud enough for Clay to hear me and get enjoyment out of my petty reaction.

 I sighed as I sat back, glazing at the ocean, it looked so soft and so shy. Though the sky was partially cloudy, it didn't take away the beauty of the delicate sea. 

You know, I never thought that I would be doing this with you. There was a time in my life that I despised you, that I deeply hated you, but now I can't imagine living without you. I can't believe I'm right next you

We casually dipped our toes in the freezing water. I walked forward a bit into the ocean until the water reached the top of my ankles as Clay followed me. The waves went up and down, with each wave my feet dug deeper into the sand. We laughed as both of our feet got slowly more and more consumed by the wet sand. 

"Ready?" Clay turned to me with a stupid grin on his stupid face while almost losing his balance.

"Let's go!" I grinned like the idiot I was as I turned to him back. "This is gonna be such a pain to clean off," I commented before getting my legs ready to pull up.

"3, 2, 1,"  We both shouted in unison like little elementary kids. "GO!" We both pulled our feet out from the sand that we was once half up our calves. We both laughed and wheezed like fools as we struggled to pull our feet out of that heavy sand. 

I rested my head on Clay's shoulder as we stared at the soft, sweet ocean together.  We stayed there for an hour or two. 

Clay felt a drop of water fall onto the bridge of his nose, "Fuck, it's gonna start raining pretty fucking soon, let's go."

"Already?" I looked up at him, my head still leaned on his shoulder.

Clay ruffled up my hair before getting up and putting his hand out for me to grab. I pulled onto his hand, using it to help lift myself up. 

"We should get up those stupid ass stairs quick, I know damn well it'll be near impossible to climb once they get wet." Clay started walking to where the stairs were as I followed him.