Chapter 13

I sat outside on the sidewalk of a nearby 7/11 leaning against the wall. What time is it? I checked my phone, "8:02, I'm late." 

"Here," Clay handed me a slushee after walking out from the store.

He sat down beside me on the concrete. Both of us looked straightforward at the road, cars passed by.

"I can't believe you're doing this for me." Clay managed to build up the courage to say after reticence moments.

I stayed silent as I took a sip of the slushee, not knowing what to say.

"I'm really sorry," He leaned his head back onto the convenient store's wall.

"You really took 'try to be sincere' to a whole other level." I let out a small laugh then turned to him. 

You know, I never noticed this, his hair a lot browner than I remember.

Clay looked over to me, "I can't believe you're forgiving me like that."

I smiled, "Who said I forgave you."

He got all flustered for a moment then tried to play it off by giving out a little chuckle.

"I really don't care anymore, what happened was the past. Just don't treat me differently after this. It'll be weird." I took another sip of the drink.

Clay turned his whole body to me, criss crossing his legs like a little kid as he sat his slushee down on the pavement.

I glanced to him, looked back at the road, then back at him. I chuckled seeing him sitting like that. "Let's just go back to the way we were, let's pretend this never happened. I'll go back to hating you and you'll go back to hating me and ignoring each other." I searched his face, trying to find a reply.

Clay nodded, letting out a faint smile like the one he did earlier.

"I still hate you, you know." I stared at the cars passing by on the street.

Clay mimicked me, watching the cars speed by also, "I still hate you too."

We silently walked to school together. Even if we did run all the way over there we were late either way so we took our sweet time walking. It was an awkward walk, one filled with silence. It was a walk where you could only hear the wind and cars speeding next to you.

I stared down at the ground, "...Why'd you do it?" I kept my eyes on the tips of my shoes, "Why did you treat me like that..."

Clay got caught off guard by the question, his mind suddenly raced, trying to quickly come up with a reply. "...I-I don't know.... I-I think I just hung around the wrong people." He stuttered.

"Be honest, it was because of me, wasn't it. You started to hate me, right." I turned to him to study his face.

Clay quickly denied, "No, no, no, th-there was just something wrong me."

Now he was the one looking down at the ground.