Chapter 43

I dropped down to my legs, "WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" I shook her, "WAKE UP!"

Uncontrollable fear filled my body as I stood upon her limp, and what seemed lifeless, body, "What do I do?" I felt a tear come down my cheek. I tried to flip her over to check if she was still alive. The November, autumn breeze of the large trees grazed against my cheeks. The shade of the trees blocked whatever sunlight that the dusk sky could give us.

Her leg, I tried tugging her leg out. "I-it's bleeding."

I tried to lift the root up. "Move, move, GOD DAMNIT MOVE!" I got up and lifted the root up with all the strength I could. The large twig snapped and my body fell back. I rushed back to her, putting my hand against her mouth to feel breathing.

She's breathing, I felt an unbelievable amount of belief, but uncontrollable fear still was taking over me. "H-her chin....blood." Her face was bloody

I can't drag her. How do I carry her?

"YOU KILLED HER!" Nick shouted at me, his hands on his head. He backed a couple steps away from me like I was some disease as I held onto her limp body in front of me. 

George's eyes were wide, he was terrified , terrified of me. "Clay, What did you do?"

"I-I-" I couldn't say anything, I don't know what to do. How did I get myself in this mess? Each word that came out of my mouth had a stutter, my lips were quivering, "I-I was chasing her and-"

Nick was about to make a run for it, not wanting to be associated with me, "YOU TOOK THIS WAY TOO FAR!"

"CLAY! DID YOU BEAT HER?" George stared at her bloody face as he took a step back like Nick did earlier, scared out of his mind.

"NO! NO! I DIDN'T-!" My eyes were tearing up, I can't believe this is happening.

"Nick," George turned to Nick, terror in his eyes.

They both looked at each other for a couple moments.

"Clay....we can't..." George looked down at the ground, embarrassed and ashamed that he even had something to do with me.

Nick tapped on George's shoulder, implying that they were gonna leave me, that they were gonna make a run for it.

"I'm sorry Clay, but this is fucked up." Nick sighed before running off with George.

I stood there, her still body still in my hands. I watched as they ran off. The farther they ran, the more the darkness of the lonely night consumed them. A tear trickled down my cheek, I dropped to my knees.

~

My eyes jumped up, a cold sweat dripped down my forehead. I got up, turning on the lamp that sat on my bedside table and took a sip of water to try to calm myself down. I stared into nothingness for a couple minutes of my silent home. I tried laying down and going back to sleep, but I couldn't. I laid on my side, half my face against my pillow. I shut my eyes, trying to get myself to sleep, but I just couldn't. No matter how hard or how long I waited I couldn't lose my consciousness.

God, what is wrong with me?