35. PRACTICE

Louis was going back to work in less than a week, which made him more nervous as that day approached.

But he wasn't nervous about the actual work, he loved being a doctor, and he loved his work place, but just knowing that he was going to be spending many hours each day away from his little babies was frightening, specially because he had gotten used to be with them all day, every day.

Right now, though, he wasn't particularly worried about that, because he was picking up Tori from school to take her to an appointment with their lawyer, to start preparing her for the trial.

And that was another level of worrisome.

A worse one,

Tori was already waiting for him when he arrived at the school, and she quickly got in the car.

"Hi, mum" Tori said, and closed the door.

"Hi, baby" Louis said back, and drove away "How was school?".

"Okay" Tori shrugged "I was kind of nervous all day about the meeting".

"Don't be nervous, love, it's just our lawyer and us, and she's on our side" Louis explained.

"I know" Tori mumbled "But it makes all of this more real".

"I'm sorry, sweetheart" Louis said apologetically.

"It's not your fault" Tori replied "Is dad coming too?".

"Yes, he's meeting us there" Louis explained.

"Okay" Tori sighed, and took out her phone "Can I put my playlist?".

"Sure, honey" Louis agreed, not because he specially liked the music Tori liked, but because he wanted her to feel calm and happy.

When they got to their destination, Harry was already waiting for them outside, and he greeted Tori with a hug, and Louis with a kiss on the lips, and then they went inside together.

They were told to wait in a conference room, and shortly afterwards Rachel, their lawyer, came into the room, and shook both Harry's and Louis' hands, and then greeted Tori. They had actually met before, when Rachel helped them with Tori's adoption, and Tori said she remembered her.

"Let's sit down so we can talk" Rachel proposed.

"Yes" Louis agreed, and sat down where he had been sitting before.

Tori sat next to him, and Harry on Tori's other side, and Rachel in front of them.

"So Tori, your parents told me that they explained to you the reason why you're here and why you'll have to appear in court in a few weeks" Rachel started.

"Yeah..." Tori nodded, and Louis could tell she was fighting her shyness "I have to tell the judge that I want my dad to keep being my dad legally".

"Yes, that's part of it" Rachel nodded "But let's go step by step how this will go, okay? So you know how it will happen".

"Okay" Tori agreed.

"You won't be there for the entire trial, you will just go inside the courtroom when it's time for the judge to hear your testimony" Rachel explained "And then the only people in the room will be only the judge, a court clerk or two, your parents, me, your biological father, and his lawyer".

"Will I have to talk to him or his lawyer?" Tori questioned.

"No, you won't" Rachel denied "You won't even talk to me or your parents, you will only talk to the judge, it will be her who will ask you the questions, because you're a minor, but don't worry, she's always nice to the kids".