19. FATHER

When his phone rang again, Louis knew he needed to get it over with and just pick up.

"Tori, it's a patient that's calling me, I'm going to talk to him outside" Louis lied "Can you keep an eye on the food, please?".

"Sure, mum" Tori agreed, clearly not aware of what was happening.

"Thanks, love" Louis replied.

Then he walked outside the front door of the house, closed the door behind himself, and pressed the green button on the screen.

"Hello?" Louis picked up.

"Hi, Louis, it's Connor, Connor Harrington" Connor replied.

"Why are you calling me, Connor?" Louis asked, not wanting to waste time on pleasantries.

"I know it's been a long time, but I saw you and Tori about a month ago at that Indian place, I think you saw me too" Connor told him.

"I did, yes" Louis said dryly.

"Tori looked so grown up, and tall" Connor added.

"That's what happens to kids, they grow up and get tall" Louis replied.

"I just... seeing her after all this time was shocking, in my head she was still a little girl" Connor told him.

"Well, the only time you saw her she was 2, and the last time you asked for an update was when she was like 5? So..." Louis trailed off.

"I know" Connor confirmed "Her 14th birthday is coming up, right? July 17th?".

"Yes".

"Wow, it seems unreal" Connor commented "How is she?".

"She's great" Louis answered.

"Yes? She's doing well in school?" Connor questioned.

"She's on summer break right now, but she did great this year".

"And she's happy?".

"She's very happy" Louis said determinately "And she also has everything she needs, her father and I always make sure of that".

"You mean your boyfriend? He acts as her father? Does she call him dad?" Connor wanted to know.

"My husband, Harry, is her father, so obviously Tori calls him dad" Louis explained.

"But does she know he's not her biological father? Does she know about me?" questioned Connor.

"She knows everything, Connor, I've never lied to her" Louis replied "And it doesn't matter to her that Harry isn't her biological father, she loves him all the same, because he's been there for her since the day he met her".

"I'm glad she's had him all this time, it's what she deserves" Connor replied.

"Exactly" Louis said knowingly.

"And what have you told her about me?" Connor wanted to know.

"That you bailed when I told you I was pregnant, that you asked to meet her when she was 2, and that she did meet you once for 20 minutes, but that you decided not to be a part of her life after that, and that for a few years you asked about her, but that afterwards you disappeared" Louis recounted.

"Oh, okay...".

"It's just the truth, Connor, I wasn't going to paint a pretty picture to make you look good" Louis said bitterly.

"I know, it's okay, I never expected you to do that" Connor told him "So then I guess she has never asked to meet me, right?".

Louis' heart started beating faster.