4. PAIN

"Shït, shït, shït" Louis said nervously as a deep panic consumed him.

He knew what was happening, he knew as soon as he he felt that sharp cramp, and if there was any chante of stopping it, he needed to act fast.

"Harry!" Louis called as he pulled up his pants, and then opened the door of the bathroom "Harry!".

Harry must have heard the panic in his voice, because he immediately appeared on the little hallway that lead to the bathroom and the bedrooms, and he approached Louis as he left the bathroom.

"What's wrong, love?" Harry questioned.

"We need to go to the hospital now" Louis declared, his voice shaky "I'm losing the baby".

"Fück" Harry cursed at the same time he led him across the corridor "I'll get you to the hospital in time, babe, don't worry".

Louis nodded as he felt another sharp pain on his abdomen, and he put his hand there to try to ease the pain as Harry grabbed his wallet and the car and house keys.

Then Harry quickly helped him onto a pair of sneakers, and they left the house, and got inside the car, Louis on the passenger's seat, while Harry drove.

"Are you just having pain, or...?" Harry asked him while he drove.

"I'm bleeding" Louis whispered as he wiped the tears from his eyes.

"It's okay, baby, we'll be right there" Harry promised.

But their town was small, and it didn't have a proper hospital, only a few general practice offices (one of which was where Louis worked). So Louis knew Harry was driving him to the closest hospital, which was a 20-25 minute drive away, depending on traffic.

The ride to the hospital felt like a blur, all he remembered was Harry assuring him everything would be okay, but he knew that most likely that wouldn't be the case, because he kept feeling those sharp pains, and he knew he had to be bleeding even more now, but he didn't even dare check.

As soon as they arrived at the hospital, Louis was taken in, and although he was a mess of nerves, he tried to explain with as much detail as he could what was happening to him.

The doctor that examined him at the maternity ward seemed experienced, but as much experience as he could have had, there were some things that he couldn't reverse. And when he gave them the result of Louis' examination, he knew it was one of those cases.

"I'm so sorry to tell you this, but you lost the pregnancy" the doctor said sympathetically.

Louis' eyes filled with tears, as he felt Harry's hand hold his own tightly, but he didn't want to look at his face, if he did, he knew he would break down.

"You should know that you did nothing wrong, from what you told us, you took great care of yourself and the pregnancy" the doctor assured him "Miscarriages sometimes happen with no explanation during the first trimester, and it's no one's fault".

Louis nodded as he kept trying to put a brave face, but he was dying inside.

"I'm going to give you some privacy, and came back later" the doctor told them.

Louis nodded again, and when the doctor left, closing the door behind him, Louis turned to look at his husband next to him, and as soon as he saw the sadness on his face, he broke down, like he knew it would happen.

"I'm sorry" Louis sobbed.

"Don't apologize" Harry told him as he sat on the bed, and put his arms around him "It wasn't your fault".