Demon-faced tsundere (5)

The receptionist I had met the other day recognised the two of us and offered to look after Chen while I went to do the interview.

Chen had been caught in her trap as soon as he saw that familiar golden foil. But when he saw I had left him, he immediately chased after me.

"Chen, I'll be right back." I bent down to his level and told him to go back to the receptionist. I was only a few steps away and he had glomped my leg, unwilling to let go.

"I'll be good, mama." He cried out and I could feel warm tears dripping against my calf.

The old host tried to abandon him at a supermarket once, but he was returned by the police. The system sighed as he recounted the horrible experience the 3 year old had suffered.

"I'm not leaving, I promise I'll be back in a little bit." I patted his head, trying to soothe him. Peeling him off of me before trying to leave him with the receptionist but he began crying yet again.

"M... ama, mama, waah." He floundered against the receptionist trying to come after me.

I really can't... System, I can't leave him alone. I don't want him to cry, ah my heart is breaking. I quickly turned back around and picked him up. His arms wrapped around my neck tightly as he cried into my neck.

I apologised to the receptionist before turning to go to the interview.

They're not going to let you in if you take him with you. Separation anxiety in children is normal, there's no need to worry about it. It's better to let them get used to it. The system tried to convince me to leave the baby.

How can it be better to leave them? I can't leave him it makes me feel bad. Especially after hearing how the original body treated him...

I don't want to hear him cry anymore. I brushed the system off as I sat down beside the other interviewees in a corridor lined with plastic chairs.

Agh, just do what you want. He huffed angrily and then muted himself.

"..." The panel of interviewers stared silently at the little kid hanging off me. While the SML looked at me wide-eyed.

"Seems we keep meeting." He sent me a smile, one that sent shudders down my spine. It truly felt as though I had just been placed on his kill list.

Oi, are you sure this guy only looks evil but is actually really nice... Or is he just evil? I waited for a response only to not receive one for ages. As I panicked while trying to reach the system the interview had started with me answering to the best of my ability.

Let's just say my ability is shit, and I doubt I'd be getting the job.

"Ahem, so any questions?" One of the old men on the panel asked after an awkward silence.

"Do you allow employees to bring their children to work?" The question that had been burning at the forefront of my mind finally had the chance to be spoken. The man's mouth opened slightly in shock and a small laugh sounded beside him.

"Pfft... Hm, yes we do allow children to come sit with the employees at work." The SML answered before the old man could.

"Seriously?" My eyes brightened immediately as I squeeze Chen tighter. He had been silent throughout the interview but squeezed his arms tighter around me neck every so often, as if to check that I was still there.

"Yes, of course." He nodded seriously with a small, almost invisible, smirk.

The interview had finished and I was finally dismissed. "Thank you for the opportunity." I shook their hands, apparently difficult to do while carrying a child, and then headed out.

"Chen, sorry... Should we go out to eat?" I tried to bribe him with food to get him to show me his face. It had been hidden in the crook of my neck ever since we left the lobby area.

His ears perked up and he immediately pulled away to look at my face. "Yes." He nodded fervently, blinking his little red eyes fast with excitement.

Hours later as I lay beside the already sleeping Chen the system had made his reappearance.

You bitch where were you? I asked sounding every bit like a jilted partner.

... How did the interview go? He spoke hesitantly as if he knew I was about to explode.

How do you think it went? I was counting on you to help me, God knows how useless you are in every other aspect, but you couldn't even help when I needed it? I berated him getting angrier when I remembered that the SML had said they would allow me to bring Chen with me. After I got home I checked other jobs and when I sent a message to their helpline they all told me it was impossible to bring my kid to work.

If I don't get the job, what do I do with Chen? No one else will let me bring my kid to work. I cried anxiously as I thought back to Chen's heart wrenching sobs from this morning.

... I think the SML was joking when he said that. The system harshly shattered my dreams.

...

Hey don't go into shock now.

...

I've never hated a second lead so much in my life, but now I understand why they're sometimes relegated to the backseat. I buried my face into the pillow to muffle my screams of annoyance, as I regretted my life decisions yet again.

A/N: I'm tryna figure out how to make the SML more annoying 😁😁😁 I still got an essay due GDI!!!!!