Demon-faced tsundere (10)

As soon as the meeting was over I rushed outside, scanning the hallway for my stolen child. To chance upon the treacherous sight of him giggling with James.

"Chen." I gasped, feeling my heart shatter at the sight. I can't believe I've been betrayed. He froze in the arms of his new best friend, turning slowly to face me and then suddenly tears lined his eyes.

"Mama!" He cried stretching his arms out towards me, and I almost fell for his tears, but I had already seen enough.

"No~ don't mind me carry on giggling away with him." I spat out, glaring at the man who took my son away from me.

"No, mama." He screamed while trying to pull away from James' grip. He quickly ran over bawling his eyes out. "Sorry." He cried gripping onto my leg tightly.

"..." I felt guilt wash over me as I saw the boy sobbing and his chest heaving.

Tut, tut, tut you done fu***d up. The system's annoying, idiotic voice called out. Making me feel even more guilty about everything.

"Chen... Chen, I'm sorry I didn't mean to get mad. You can play with James if you want." I crouched down, speaking in a soft tone to try and soothe him.

"No, no." He shook his head frantically, gripping onto my sleeve with a look of fear in his eyes.

Wh-why's he acting like this? I asked the system, hoping he'd give me a clue but the silence told me that I had been relying too much on the guy who always left me hanging in my times of need.

"Chen, what's wrong? Why are you scared?" I asked him with worry filling my tone as I pulled his hand gently away from my sleeve so I could hold it.

"You're gonna leave me." He stomped his feet in a panic and strengthened his grip on my sleeve, resolute on not letting go.

"I'm not going to leave you, who said I was going to leave you? If you want to play with James you can play with Jame-" I was interrupted by him screaming 'no'.

"You can't leave me!" Tears were streaming down his face as his voice shook.

"I'm not leaving you." I soothed him and then suddenly felt the gazes of the people standing in the hallway.

Disgusted gazes. They seemed to be able to tell something was wrong with the child, something that stemmed from the mother's maltreatment.

I swallowed my saliva as I tried to comfort Chen but the overwhelming feeling of their eyes staring at me made me freeze.

Moments later the crowd seemed to move on, like nothing had happened. And I blinked rapidly trying to figure out what happened...

It seemed obvious that the child had been abused... But why was no one doing anything?

"Why is your kid reacting like that?" Suddenly Lyle pulled Chen behind him and squinted at me in suspicion.

"I-I don't know." I stammered.

I really don't know, the system hasn't briefed me on everything the previous mother did so I don't know the full extent of what he's suffered through.

"Have you been abusing this kid?" He asked, my reaction seemed to incense him as a fire blazed in his eyes.

"It wasn't me." My hands shook as I met his accusatory glare. "I didn't do anything to him." I shook my head hurriedly, proclaiming my innocence.

It really wasn't me. But it was this body, so how are they supposed to differentiate? I'm part of this body for now, so isn't it my fault too?

What did I miss? The system's voice interrupted my thoughts and destroyed the panic that was building inside me.

They think I abused Chen, I didn't. But she did, but I'm her. So it's me who did it?

That's not how it works. You haven't laid a hand on this kid and you've been doing your best for him, even if your best ain't all that. The system kind of comforted me.

"Has your mum ever hit you?" Lyle asked Chen, while shielding him from me. My heart sank, already knowing the answer to this.

"Mama never hits me." Chen denied angrily.

W-what is he talking about? Didn't you say she hit him? I asked the system in confusion.

S-she did, I'm sure of it. He hastily tapped away at his keyboard. Yeah it says it right here, she started beating him a few months ago.

"You need to be honest, we won't let her hurt you again." Lyle attempted to draw the truth out from him.

"No, mama's really nice to me." But he denied it yet again.

Is there something wrong with him? I asked the system worriedly.

I don't know. He answered with an equal amount of worry.

"Really?" Lyle pushed one last time, much to Chen's annoyance.

"Yes!" He pushed the SML back and came running towards me, hiding behind my leg before peeking out to look at the slightly surprised SML who had been pushed over by a kid.

"Ahem, let's go back to the office." The SML awkwardly signalled for the three of us to follow him after brushing himself off.