Teddy bear arc (3)

I awoke with my brows furrowed and feeling slightly annoyed. I looked down at my empty hands realising that the bear was nowhere to be seen.

Trying to call for that annoying system failed so I searched around my room for ages, until I saw a small paw poking out from underneath my bed.

"What are you doing down there?" I cried out patting my thundering chest. I pulled it out and then scrunched my nose seeing the layer of dust on its fur. "Ugh." I stroked its belly a few times, but still didn't feel that it was clean enough. "It's been a week, right?" I questioned nobody in particular before dragging the bear to the bathroom.

As I dunked it in water a few times I saw the shimmer in its eyes disappear for a moment.  I looked more closely and then realised it was because I was standing in front of the light source, a small frosted window in the bathroom.

"Hoo, that was creepy." I wrung out the bear and then went to find the hairdresser, drying it and restoring it to it's former fluffy goodness.

I received an email this morning informing me that the fire studies teacher had returned and we would be resuming our normal schedule. I was still slightly confused about what exactly that was and I didn't want to ask Kelly, because I didn't want to seem abnormal and scare her off.

I think if she was afraid of abnormals she would've avoided you when she saw you carrying around that teddy. The system interjected dully.

Meh meh meh. Why don't you stop putting your big ugly nose in my business? I sneered while waiting patiently in the classroom for the mysterious fire studies teacher to enter.

He entered quietly with his head down and looked dishevelled as his hair drooped down veiling his face slightly. I cocked my head to the side feeling some familiarity but berated myself, it's literally impossible to know him.

He had monotonously been going through the register.

"Layla..." The teacher called out, and furrowed his eyebrows when he received no response. The person besides me poked me hard, signalling for me to responded. When I responded his head shot up and I finally got to see his face clearly.

"Oh shit." I gasped and almost fell off the stool.

What the hell is this? System, system who is that?

Don't worry host, it's not actually him. The system reassured me but the cold eyes staring at me left me feeling unsettled.

I calmed down slowly seeing as he paid no mind to me and continued reading the list. I left the classroom in a daze and froze upon hearing one of the students call out to the teacher.

"Mr. Poller, I have a question about something." I paused mid-step, realising that it wasn't him and hugging the plush more tightly with relief.

"Charlie, how comes the teacher called you Layla?" Kelly asked as we exited the classroom.

"I think that's my maiden name?" I cringed upon seeing the baffled look on her face.

"Y-you're married? N-no wait, doesn't maiden name mean last name?" She asked furrowing her brows in confusion.

"I meant nickname, of course, I meant nickname." But for some reason I did not say that. I frowned, slightly beginning to question my IQ for the fifth time.

"Excuse me." A low voice sounded from beside me and I turned to meet face to face with the devil himself.

"S-sorry." I stammered, immediately stepping out of the way and pulling Kelly with me. He grunted in response before going on his way.

"Ow." Kelly winced and I pulled my hand away, realising I was holding onto her too tightly.

"Sorry, sorry. Are you okay? Did I hurt you? I'm so sorry." I whimpered, rubbing her arm slightly trying to lessen the pain.

"N-no I'm fine." She pulled her arm back hastily and if I had been paying attention I might've noticed the slight blush colouring her face. But I was too busy concentrating on the potential injury to her arm and was blissfully ignorant. "Are you scared of Mr. Poller?" She asked suddenly and my heart fluttered when I realised my friend had been paying attention to my emotions.

"Y-yeah, slightly." I smiled awkwardly looking up at where he had walked through and froze when I made eye-contact. It was brief but long enough to cause my heartbeat to accelerate.

Is it really not him? I feel like it's him? I asked the system for reassurance, holding back any further questions until I get home and could listen to the full explanation.

Him who? The system continued to play dumb, much to my annoyance.

Hal! I screamed at him causing him to jolt against his desk and curse at me.

It's not him. The system quickly reassured me.

Okay. I sighed loudly which seemed to distress Kelly.

"Are you okay?" She asked, seeming to hesitate before continuing. "I know we just started talking but I'd like to h-help you with anything that's t-troubling you." Her face and neck were dyed red as she stammered nervously.

Kya~ I screamed internally, feeling ecstatic yet guilty as I watched her worry for me.

"It's not trouble at all, seriously." I held back the urge to hug the cute creature that was Kelly. Never in my life had I met such a cute person.

A/N: Kelly is just a filler character tbh unrealistic but omg i went on my break at work yesterday towards like the end of the day and I went to the shops and they thought I went home and were asking my friend if I had left like wtf can't even go out without people snitching 🤮 not to be racist but yk the ones who snitched were of a particular skin tone and I happen to be the only hijabi in the company. BRO it was so fricking awkward for so long because all the white people were full on staring and watching me as I walked past and whenever we had like an induction I would walk in through the door and they'd just widen their eyes in shock. I can't they literally treat you like a zoo animal and don't know how to interact with you even though they're all literal adults. The lab I work at has loads of  clients coming to the site as well and they all also stare at me it's so ugbfjdhencheneh Rant over, but probably not