Demon-faced tsundere (7)

I approached the counter sending a glance to the blonde-haired beauty and cringed in embarrassment when I saw the front.

It's a dude. I screeched at the system, completely dumbfounded. But that waist...

Haha, you fool that's the ML you were perving on. The system laughed, overjoyed at my mistake.

You thought it was a girl too, shut up. I sent a dirty look to the hero who looked confused by my sudden hostility. This is so embarrassing. I could feel my organs shrivelling up from the overwhelming amount of shame rushing through my bloodstream.

"You, why are you here?" The SML suddenly brought me back from my cringe-induced coma and I forced a smile as I turned to him.

"What are you talking about? I got hired." I cocked my head to the side feigning a look of confusion.

"Ehh? No way, the only person who approved of you was me and even that was a joke." I narrowed my eyes in annoyance as he sent me a look filled with suspicion. "Did you buy your way in?" He asked suddenly.

"Dude..." The blond-haired hero sent him a disappointed look. "I apologise on behalf of Lyle here, he's just not very good with his words." He smacked the SML's shoulder with the back of his hand sending me an apologetic glance.

My eyes flickered to his waist briefly and then back to his face.

"Why do you keep glaring at him?" Lyle asked, and you know, after hearing his name I can understand why he's the second lead...

"No I was not, sir." I saluted him while holding Chen more tightly.

"Why did you bring your kid to work?" The SML glanced at Chen causing him to burrow his head into my shoulder.

"You did say I was allowed to." I reminded him.

"Ah, that's true." He scratched the back of his head awkwardly while avoiding direct eye-contact. "Well about that..." I quickly interrupted him before he could shatter the hopes of this mother-son pair.

"Wow, I'm really looking forward to working here with my son like you told me I could. Aren't you happy Chen, that you won't have to be abandoned in some daycare but are able to pl-work with me?" I patted Chen's bottom signalling for him to jump in and he pulled back to nod his head enthusiastically while glancing at the SML and holding me tighter.

"Pff-" The ML quickly blocked his mouth to stop the laugh from bubbling over but it was too late.

"What are you laughing at?" He punched the ML, sounding a little disgruntled. "Y- ahem, you can-" He paused mid-sentence watching Chen and I stare him down with pleading gazed. "Ha, I'll have to take you to HR and explain the situation." He sighed, signalling for us to follow him.

"Director." They all stood up quickly upon seeing him enter, looking very stiff.

He flippantly gestured for them to sit down, motioning for me to wait there as he approached one of the guys at the back. After discussing something the man opposite the SML's jaw dropped in shock and he glanced at me and then looked back at Lyle in distress.

"We are so sorry about this, Miss, but we cannot allow you to work as a receptionist with a child." He sincerely apologised to me. "We do not know why our Director decided to tell you that, but we our company does not allow children to accompany their parents to work." He explained while sending a glare at the SML who avoided his gaze.

Seeing the unapologetic look of the SML the man's eyes suddenly shimmered as he thought of something.

"... But, I do believe you would be quite suited for a different role." Both the SML and I turned towards him with questioning gazes and he let the suspense build before continuing. "Lyle, weren't you looking for a secretary?" The SML's eyes widened slightly and he shook his head quickly.

"No, I can't have a kid running around my office, especially this ugly little thing." I gasped in shock, quickly covering Chen's ears.

"You, how dare you?" My hands shook in anger as I tried to hold back from throwing hands with the bastard.

C-calm down, host... Host, you can't kill the SML. He didn't mean that, you know he's just an idiot. The system interrupted in a panic, convinced that I would do something irrevocable.

"Well, if you reject this she could sue you for lying to her. With reasons such as her having to turn down other job roles or even mental anguish at not being able to provide for her son." He hinted at me to continue speaking.

"Y-yeah, I've only got £100 left in my bank account and I won't be able to pay rent and we'll be kicked out on the street. My kid is too cute to be on the street." I cried while hugging Chen closer to me.

"..." Lyle watched us for a moment before leaving without looking back.

"Tch." I spat out, annoyed that my act didn't have an affect but even more annoyed that I didn't even get to scratch his annoying face after he called Chen ugly.

"What are you doing? Go follow him." I was pushed from behind by the HR guy  and gave him a confused glance as I was being shoved into the hallway. My eyes caught sight of a man stood frozen in the corridor looking over his shoulder.

He jumped slightly, turned back around quickly and carried on down the corridor.

"?" I looked back to the man still shoving me.

"You're hired." He clarified and with one final shove I stumbled forward as he slammed the door to the HR office. I dazedly hurried after the flustered figure of the SML.

A/N: I'm a bit late woops but I was procrastinating writing this chapter and also procrastinating doing my uni work so I got another email from them saying do your damn work 😂😂 I've got loads of chapters for the other arcs and RIP to Charlie for the next arc yeet