Demon-faced tsundere (9)

The bear m- I mean James sat down at a desk to the right of the SML's office directly across from Chen and I.

Chen had burrowed himself into my neck, occasionally lifting his head to see if the coast was clear. Upon making eye contact with the beast he would freeze and then scramble back into hiding.

Brring!

I jumped at the sudden sound of the phone ringing, checked to see I had not angered him before finally picking it up.

"'I'm so sorry to disturb you..." An anxious voice sounded over the phone.

"Hello, this is the director of *****'s office how can I help you?" I asked robotically.

"I just wanted to say... Tell that basta*d I'll fu**ing kill him. He ruined my life! My freaking wi-" I abruptly slammed the phone down, rubbing my ear and glaring down at the device.

"What's the boy's name?" James suddenly spoke up from beside me. I clutched my chest in fright, questioning how he appeared by me so suddenly.

"W-what do you want with that information?" I stuttered fearfully, trying to gauge if he was to use it to curse my small dumpling. Don't you know he's already been through enough?

He's not a bad guy don't worry about it. The system attempted to quash my fears, but did I look like a fool to him?

Like I'd put my trust in this stinky AI who keeps endangering my mental health for the sake of some stupid missions that don't even make sense. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion at my own response. Wow, that was suddenly very rude for no reason at all.

No, heuk, it's too late to take back what you said! The system sobbed loudly.

System, system~ I didn't mean it. I'm sorry. I tried to coax him, realising he had the power to increase my suffering ten-fold.

No, apologising doesn't take away from the pain you caused. His voice wavered as he talked making me feel infinitely more guilty. An apology is not enough... M-maybe if you did a bonu- but no, it doesn't matter I'm just a non-feeling, cold, heartless-

Just give me a bonus mission. I sighed in defeat, knowing full well he was manipulating me.

B-b-bonus mission! Let James hold your kid. 15 smackaroonies.

N-no, you monster. I won't sacrifice my child to this bear of a man. One moment enclosed in those hands of his and my baby will never live to see the daylight.

Stop being dramatic, he's not a bad guy (¬_¬). The system responded, unconcerned.

Don't send emoticons to me, you hunk of trash. I growled in anger.

D-did you just call me a hunk? H-host we can't be like this, your mission is Lyle... N-not me.

Kyaa.

Who? I blinked rapidly withholding my vomit as his 'kyaa' echoed in my brain.

"What's his name?" The deep voice of Satan himself sounded again, and I may just be imagining it but it sounded pretty agitated.

You're imagining it~. The system attempted to rid of my worries, but failed colossally. Mostly due to the scary man inching closer and closer to my child.

"Ch-Ch-Chen." I stammered out, feeling light-headed as all the blood seemed to drain from my face.

Just hand him over! The system demanded.

I can't! I screamed back at him, how can I give my child to this demon.

He's literally done nothing and you're calling him all these names. The system tutted and I could almost feel him shaking his head in disappointment.

"Hey, you, follow me." Suddenly the boss exited his office looking stressed as he signalled for me to follow him.

"Yes, sir." I quickly got to my feet, hurrying to the boss' side and internally thanked him for protecting Chen from the system and James.

Moments later I would rescind my thanks as he commanded me to hand over Chen to James and follow him into the meeting room.

"No, I can't leave him, he'll start crying." I shook my head rapidly, hoping he would allow it just this once (and also any other time we enter the meeting room).

"Well you can't come into the meeting with a kid. Give him to James or you're fired." He hissed at me while rearranging his tie.

Just give him the kid. The system pressured. If you don't, I don't think you'll be able to find another job and then you two will end up on the street.

I looked to James then boss then Chen and finally bit back a sob as I, reluctantly, pushed Chen into the arms of the giant in front of me.

Good job host, 15 tokens got. You're at 315 now, you can finally watch that stupid finale you've been looking forward to.

Ignoring the racquet in my head, I squeezed my eyes shut hoping not to catch the look of betrayal Chen shot at me and utterly failing. I straightened my back and followed the boss inside. Chen's sobs could be heard but quickly grew muffled, my heart chilled as I took a step towards the door but I was quickly held in place by the SML.

Chen's fine, look. The system played a short clip of Chen laughing in James' arms but I was still suspicious of it.

Could easily fake that. My suspicions quickly dissipated upon hearing a slightly muffled childish giggle and I finally relaxed.

A/N: James is a good guy, guys. I got nothing else to say but that I'm 3-4 weeks behind on lectures and I'll probably be receiving an email soon 😭😭😭😭😭