Chapter 19

After the hassle to make the drink during the day, Chang Ying's entire body tingled with ache. She finally realised compared to her poverty-stricken life now, her poverty-stricken life in her former future as really easy. In fact, she could nearly say she lived like a princess!

Then there was clean water, unstable but usable electricity, a television with few local channels, a cheap mobile phone with pre-installed games to play on the bus, an easy-to-use, smokeless gas cooker. And most importantly, she had a bed with a mattress that was a few centimetres thicker than what she now used.

Now she didn't even have an electric blender in sight. She had to bend her back and sweat to use a small, iron hand blender. Her shoulders and arms hurt from turning the handle so many times, ah! And don't get started on the easy-flowing tap water she used to neglect. In the village, they had to fetch clean water from the general pump, which was fortunately about a hundred metres from their house, and store the water in drums.

The poor men of the future would be like small neighbourhood kings in this era. Chang Ying reminisced almost bitterly as she dragged her tired body into bed.

The thin mattress over the straw mat barely gave any comfort. Once again, Chang Ying missed the hardfoam she had never been thankful for in her past life. It took losing it to really appreciate that secondhand, slightly musty foam and the raggedy, torn bed cover. Though she sometimes woke up to find tiny bits of foam on her hair and clothes, at least, it devotedly always gave her as good night's sleep.

Then Chang Ying felt the thin mattress sink behind her. She turned to her side and glanced at her bedmate. "You going to sleep so early?'

Lu Chen hummed lowly in agreement and said nothing more.

Chang Ying bit her inner cheek in dissatisfaction. A slight tangy, sour feeling rose in her heart. She did not know how to quantify it.

The man next to her quietly pulled the blanket over his body and slept on his side facing her. His breathing slowly stabilised. His black, long lashes....

Chang Ying felt even more frustrated at the sight of him. She didn't know how to put the words right. Maybe it was because her mental age was older than before, so she sometimes thought it was awkward to take the first step to communicate with the younger him. Sometimed she felt their intimacy was so long ago in her memory, she wanted to take things slowly and not jump into it. Lu Chen had been taking tentative s, coquettish actions, she found herself foolishly melting into his unusual warmth at these times. But more frustratingly, she also wanted more from Lu Chen, but he had held himself back.

Chang Ying was a mess. Be soft or be cautious, she wasn't sure what to do after her rebirth. She wanted both.

She exhaled deeply a few times but couldn't get rid of the stuffiness in her chest. Annoyed, she turned away from him.

Immediately, she felt an arm curl around her waist and gently pulled her closer.

"What the..." She turned her neck, surprised. "Aren't you asleep yet?"

"I want to sleep facing you. Otherwise, sleep in my arms."

She clicked her tongue angrily. "Lu Chen, how come I didn't know you were this shameless before I married you?"

His head shifted and she felt his lips next to her ear lobe. His breath lightly fanned the soft shell, turning it pink. His voice was gruff and sleep-laden as he whispered, "I was a virgin boy then. Now you've made me a man."

Chang Ying reddened in the blink of an eye. Her ears and cheeks were so hot, it was like there was a fire underneath. She did not expect him to talk about their consummation on their wedding night so straightforwardly. "You...you... shameless!"