Chapter 15

Chang Ying's good mood from setting up that sly Feifei was quickly eroded away by worry. As long as she did not get Feifei's pearl, then any small trucks and little victories she won were meaningless.

Before Chang Ying realised it, her feet had taken her back to her and Lu Chen's small abode. She heard the two brothers discussing inside.

"But why are you applying this smelly salt just because Sister Ying said so?" Lu Ching whined. "Feifei smells nice today so she wants to block our nose, so troublesome."

Lu Chen sighed heavily. "Just use it, what's the harm?"

Lu Ching continued in a dissatisfied tone, "Big brother, I know you like her but...but I don't like her much. Since you came back she is acting nice, but you didn't know, when you were not around..."

Chang Ying quickly stepped into the hut. "Lu Ching, you are still here. Your mother and grandfather are discussing, so go help Sister Zhi with the chores so she won't be late for work."

Those stupid things she did, Chang Ying did not want Lu Chen to find out. It was too disconcerting. Lu Chen would definitely feel disappointed in her for treating his little brother that way. He might even resume his silly worry that she could not endure this tedious life by his side.

Lu Ching squinted his eyes with his lips twisted in a disgruntled downward curve. He eyed his brother, but Lu Chen shook his head tiredly and waved his hand, dismissing him.

Lu Ching got up and patted his clothes, while muttering, "I'll never fall in love, so troublesome."

Then the teenage boy stomped out of the hut.

Chang Ying felt a bit disappointed in her heart. The adults did not say much but they had more understanding towards her unruly acts she committed before she adjusted to their lifestyle. While the little girl, Jin Ruishi, was open-hearted and easily forgot grudges.

But...

Lu Ching was different. He was mature enough to realise her hurtful deeds, and also young enough to stubbornly hold a grudge. Moreover, those hurtful things Chan Ying said were directed at him. Lu Ching was really close to him big brother and looked up to Lu Chen so her disappointing actions were hard to accept.

Chang Ying turned her attention to Lu Chen. Aside from the wrinkle between his brows, his complexion had returned to its fresh, healthy glow.

"Do you feel better now?" She walked towards him and sat beside him on the mattress.

Lu Chen rubbed between his brows and turned his head to smile lightly at her. "I feel better now, thank you. The smelly salt helped."

Chang Ying nodded and added, "Rest here a bit till you have to go to work. You have to be careful about your health next time. Don't go around smelling all manner of rubbish. Otherwise, you will fall sick."

As for Feifei's matter, she was not sure of the conclusion Mo Yue and Grandpa Lu would make. Instead of coming off as jealous and suspicious, she would leave it up to Lu Chen and the rest of the family to admit the weirdness around Feifei together.

*****

In the end, Chang Ying decided her decision was right. Feifei moaned and cried more than a mourning widow throughout the rest of the day. No matter how much the elders interrogated her, she refused to admit rousing artificial fragrance and insisted it was her own fresh body odor.

Yes, body odor that scents sweetly, won't every one rush to have that?

Mo Yue and Grandpa Lu had to apologize to the pitiful crying flower and reluctantly back down, especially since there was no evidence that pointed otherwise.