Chapter 17

Goodbye 2020
This year would definitely be one of the memorable ones for our generation.

*****

The weekend rolled by quickly. On the start on the new week, Feifei and Lin Ching packed their bags with bright faces to resume school.

Feifei was starting her third year of high school this semester, while Lin Ching was also starting his third year of junior high school. Their uniforms were clean and pressed neatly with the charcoal iron. Their clean white socks in their old, polished black shoes made them look young and upright.

Lin Ching looked like a young dandy boy in his crisp white shirt, faded grey waist coat and dark grey slacks. His sickly pale skin let the sharp, attractive features of his face stand out even more, like fragile but expensive jade. While Feifei wore her school's frilly green skirt and packed her hair up into cute twin-tails that bobbed up and down each time she moved her head, increasing her cuteness level by 30% at least!

Their clothes were not new. It was even faded and well used, but it was clear at a glance that they took great care of their uniform and appearance.

Chang Ying took one glance at Feifei's white uniform shirt and rolled her eyes. What cute? Chang Ying, too, had graduated from the same town high school last year, she knew for sure the uniforms were not that body-fitted!

Feifei had obviously altered the uniform. Chang Ying did not bother to point this out, if she did. Feifei would have an opportunity to cry now that her body had developed to fill the uniform because of puberty, and not because she adjusted it.

It was better to let some things quietly germinate. In fact, since the accusation of prostitution has not deterred Feifei and she still impatiently wanted to make a splash like this, Chang Ying would not interfere. The more Feifei tried to stand out from now on, the more the elders in this low income household would suspect her. Instead, Chang Ying pulled out two red envelopes like a gracious madam and smiled brightly at the two students.

"Lu Ching, Feifei, come here." She waved the envelopes, gesturing for them to come closer. "This is my allowance for you for the new semester. Come and take it."

Lu Ching stiffened and looked at her suspiciously. While Feifei's face paled a she bit down on her lip.

Both of them looked comically aggrieved at the same time, for different reasons.

Chang Ying saw their reaction and grinned. "Look at both your faces, as if you can't take my money. Am I not your big sister? Don't be shy. Come and take. I was in school too, so I know how important it is to have a little pocket money to take care of small things here and there."

Feifei fazed at the envelop like it was a snake then at the face of the smiling woman holding it out like she was giving new year red packets. She pressed her lips into a thin line in resistance. Her dignity would be tarnished if she had to honestly call this person "big sister" and use her money. Feifei's expression said it all, she'd rather have no money at all than lower her head to take that envelope.

Lu Ching looked at his mother and elder sister. Then shifted his gaze to Lu Chen, his eyes practically crying out if it was okay to collect Ching Ying's gift.

Mo Yue and the others were shocked. They were surprised Chang Ying was giving an allowance. There as nothing wrong with it, as an elder Chang Ying could support the younger ones. Buy when was the last time, they had given the children extra pocket money at the beginning of school?

Mo Yue and Lu Zhi flushed but before they could say anything, Lu Chen spoke.

"What are you waiting for? Thank your big sister properly."