Chapter 20

That night, Chang Ying tucked herself in to sleep. Even though Lu Zhi would make arrangements for the meeting tomorrow, she still had a lot to do to ensure everything went added smoothly.

At the back of her mind, she counted off the things they needed to prepare. Even though it was a simple taste test for her drink, Lu Zhi had reminded her of something important, appearance and presentation absolutely mattered!

Chang Ying briefly considered going to town the next morning to borrow some decent looking containers from her mother.

As she thought of a solution to package the samples, Lu Chen quietly entered the room. He had taken a bath, dried off and changed clothes in the outhouse.

After rummaging through his things for a bit, he walked to the bed and lowered himself to sit down beside her probe body. His voice interrupted her thoughts.

"I went to see the doctor this morning before work. He gave me something for the swellings."

Lu Chen showed her a cup of medicated ointment he held in his hand. He unscrewed the lid and showed her.

A thick, balmic scent wafted into Chang Ying's nose. The cup was nearly empty but there was some yellowish ointment left at the bottom. She raised her head and smiled at him politely. "Thank you. I completely forgot about my arm today. If you hadn't gone, I wouldn't know what to do tonight."

His clear, fox eyes peered back at her. He gave a slight nod to acknowledge her words. "Let's use first and see if it is any good."

"Thank you," she said again in a light whisper.

Lu Chen hummed, unconcerned. Looking at the strands of rustled hair that stick to her forehead after she had rolled around in bed, he could not resist wanting to feel them. He raised his hand, brushing away some loose hair strands away from her forehead. His eyes roamed over her face, shoulders, torso, hands, taking in everything.

"I will help you apply it," Lu Chen withdrew his hand and gaze, then swiftly unscrewed the lid of the ointment. His slender index finger dipped in and scooped up an ample amount of the yellow paste.

He held her arm and his finger gently dabbed the medicinal ointment over her arm. Chang Ying closed her eyes and enjoyed the soothing, cool sensation the ointment brought to her hand.

Lu Chen frowned as he noticed the swelling had spread all the way up her upper arm to her shoulders. Suddenly, he felt this was more like an infection than an allergy. Fungal and bacterial skin infections were not uncommon in the rural areas, but they weren't too common either.

But without saying another word, he scooped up the ointment several times and evenly applied it everywhere he saw the swellings. Lu Chen thought about their trip to the city and looked at Chang Ying's hand. He really hoped they could afford to do some proper tests. He did not want to see her suffer more than she had in his hands.

Her skin used to be very smooth and soft like silk. Lu Chen's eyes couldn’t help but darken as he saw how far the swellings had spread.

Chang Ying opened her eyes slightly to stare at him. She moved her cherry lips and murmured, “Your face is so serious. You will age quicker and look like an old man soon.”

Lu Chen threw a glance at the teasing sneer on her lips. "Then people would say we are a couple of an old cow that ate young grass. Isn't that perfect?"

Chang Ying clicked her tongue, discontent. She started it but the age joke jabbed a corner of her heart. The old cow could also be her, ba?

Inside, she wasn't a youngster anymore. But to Lu Chen, she was a year or so younger than him. Her body was only 19 years old this year. Chang Ying poured her full lips and looked very much like an immature child that she thought herself not to be. She huffed and puffed, sighing loudly in disapproval but Lu Chen did not say another word.