Chapter 32

Chang Ying lazily sighed and collapsed into the thin, hard mattress immediately she entered the room.

For once, Chang Ying envied Feifei's youthful vigour, she could not imagine herself spending all day scheming. After years of cynical adulthood in her previous life, such things were too exhaustive. She even considered it a miracle that Feifei could even keep up her cute, teenager persona.

More importantly, Chang Ying had better things to do than burn useful IQ countering white lotus schemes everyday. She felt a spot behind her temples throb. Chang sighed again, feeling quite exhausted. 

But...

She had enough of this senseless rubbish. If she didn't teach that husband-snatching flower a lesson, if she let things slide too much, Feifei would see an inch and take a mile. These daily, petty schemes might become a regular affair.

Letting out a disgruntled huff, she pulled herself up and searched around for the ointment container Lu Chen had brought her.

Chang Ying quietly swore in her heart. She would make that lousy Feifei eat pain if it was the only thing she did today!

*****

Lu Chen placed Feifei's hand in a bowl of cold water. The water from the storage drums cooled down during the lower temperatures of night and was good for easing the injury.

Feifei whimpered again, Lu Chen glanced at her and gently muttered, "Don't worry, it will heal well. There will be no scar."

Honestly, he was appalled. He did not expect to meet this kind of ill-fated accident when he got up this morning. It had been a beautiful morning until...

"It will be all right," he comfortingly added.

He glanced at the whimpering girl soaking her hand in cold water and held back another sigh. The hot water accident was very unexpected, and Feifei seemed to think Chang Ying was dissatisfied with her and did this in retaliation.

"Feifei," Lu Chen softly said.

The girl sniffed, her cheeks were pink, flushed from crying so much. He waited till she looked at him before he continued.

"Feifei, you know Chang Ying did not do anything on purpose, right?" His tone was softer and quite soothing.

Feifei's eyes reddened again. Her heart stirred in her chest and her eyes glistened with moisture, yes, this was her Lu Chen. The soft tone he used, she remembered it in the depths of her mind. Her Lu Chen was always stoic and polite but he was also kind and caring, but he only showed that side to them, his family, not outsiders. His soft voice she recalled he had spoken softly to her too like this when she first arrived to live with his family as a little girl. She cried a lot back then, distressed that she no longer had her biological family any more.

But it was Lu Chen with his mild tone, patiently wiping her tears and speaking to her, patiently inviting her to join his siblings to play. He rarely ever used that tone, even as a child, he eww mostly polite or indifferent. Only for her, the little girl that joined his family, he made her feel special. She rarely ever heard that tone again except for when she fell and scrapped her knee or when she fell sick once with high fever. But it had been years since then, maybe that was when he had her heart. When she discovered Lu Chen could be very soft and sweet, showing his caring side to her, only her...except till that Chang Ying came along.

Feifei huffed and turned away from him.

Lu Chen saw her actions and his forehead furrowed slightly then quickly smoothened out again. "Feifei..."