Chapter 29

Outright calling Xie Man a village girl, which she was, was a slap to the face. And Xie Man reacted in kind. The to-be bride's face reddened in anger and shame.

Chang Ying saw her reaction and she sighed before she explained further, "There is nothing wrong with that. Your husband's family knew your background before they carried on with the marriage. If you are too flashy, it might give off the feeling that you are materialistic and might not know how to live within their means. After all, your husband's family are common town people, aren't they? Showing character and sincerity is more important during the wedding. I suggest you go with the dress you already have, no matter how plain it is."

Xie Man curled her fingers into tight fists. Her eyes drowned in bitterness. "What would you understand? You married down from your social station so you have no problem. How can you understand the rest of us?"

The girl started to sob. Her body shook with sadness as she shed tears.

Feifei held her and gently comforted the crying girl. Her own eyes glistened with tears of compassion. With wet eyes , she shook her head at Chang Ying, pitifully. "Sister Ying, you shouldn't say such things without thought. Xie Man has a point, she..."

Chang Ying did not bother to listen to Feifei's drivel. Her eyes staring at Xie Man hardened. "Xie Man, I have answered you politely, out of respect for what your family did for Lu family. But I will not allow you to downgrade my Lu family as a lower class one. Some people might not have regard or pride for the family that raised them, but I respect my husband's family."

Xie Man choked on her sobs. She peered up at Chang Ying, disbelievingly. Even with her tears and family background, this town woman did not falter one bit. She even reprimanded her. "But...but my wedding dress...it is too plain! It 8s shameful."

Two soft girls with wet eyes in front of her. This tactic might have roused feelings of sympathy from men, and even softhearted women, but not Chang Ying. First, Chang Ying was not familiar with Xie Man and could not judge if her actions her real or not, but she knew Feifei. If Feifei supported something then Chang Ying could only oppose it.

"Xie Man, take some advice on your way out. Women must first respect themselves and where they come from, before their husbands and inlaws can give them respect. If you look down on your village, when you marry there will be no way you can get your in-laws to start to respect it. They will continue to look down at it. You should take pride in what you are and what you have. That plain wedding dress is still a wedding dress. Someone made it with a lot of effort and love."

Xie Man bit her lips, aggrieved.

Chang Ying did not know if he girl listened to her advice. She gestured towards the entrance. "You can leave now."

"But the wedding dress?" Feifei insisted.

"If she is not content with it, she can go in her birthday suit," Chang Ying said indifferently.

Feifei paled at her words.

Xie Man and Su Jiaojiao did not understand, so they turned and looked at Feifei's pale face. They only understood that Chang Ying did not say a good thing.

Su Jiaojiao glared up again, she pointed her finger at Chang Ying. "Disrespectful girl, how can you he so stingy? It is such a dress, yet you make Xue Man cry so much. Hasn't her family done enough for the Lu family?"

"The generousity of the Xie family is commendable, but our Lu family, haven't they paid back every time they borrowed?" Chang Ying directly laid out the facts.

"Sister Ying, it's just a dress. You have made a lot of money now. Grandpa allowed you to keep all that money without taking a single penny for himself. Why can't you just give to others a bit now that you are rich?" Feifei's voice trembled with sadness. "Sister Ying, if not for the kindness of others, we would have gone hungry in this village. So many people have helped us in our time of need. Sister Ying, I won't say anything about the load of money you have but a dress is not much compared to it. Since you have a lot now, give to others in need."