Chapter 28

The tension grew thicker in the air as the overwhelming possibility of a physical confrontation loomed over the women.

"Aunty, don't forget. I am a town person. If you touch me, my parents will bring the police to arrest you for assault." Chang Ying flicked her hair behind her shoulder, looking unmoved by the threatening woman.

"You lie!" Su Jiaojiao shouted. "Don't threaten me with police and such."

Chang Ying shook her head, chuckling at her less knowledgeable opponent. "Current laws are severely against violence, even domestic violence in families. My father teaches in a government school. He is a role model in society. If you touch a teacher's daughter..." Chang Ying paused and wore a taunting smile on her face. "Needless to say, you will send at least ten years in jail."

"Ten years!" Xie Man gasped. Her eyelids trembled over her wide eyes, her grip on Su Jiaojiao tightened. "Ten...ten years?"

"At least," Chang Ying emphasized. "By the time you get out, your little boy will have grown up without a mother. Or maybe not, your husband might be kind enough to remarry to give his son a better mother figure to look up to. Aunty, if you don't mind this, you can go ahead and hit me."

Su Jiaojiao felt more incensed at Chang Ying's casual disregard for her. She knew this young lady didn't even put her senior family position in her eyes at all. She raised the wood in her hand and matched forward.

Xie Man, who was watching the situation escalate, hurried in front of Su Jiaojiao and held her back before things went beyond repair. The young bride-to-be smiled apologetically at Chang Ying and said, "Don't take your aunty's words to heart. We are more traditionalist in this village. Any beating is just our elders showing love and gently correcting us, the juniors."

Chang Ying was not interested in discussing disciplinary actions with these two. "I am not a child. I don't need her correction. My family raised me well. For Aunty Jiaojiao to come here to correct my parents' upbringing, does that mean she can do better than my parents?"

Su Jiaojiao was inflamed. The irate woman knew she was simply an illiterate from the village. She could barely hold her head up in front of her son's teachers. How would she have the face to dare to say she could do better than Chang Ying's parents? Teachers were highly respected personnels when she was growing up, even now, she still looked at her son's teachers with reverence. Su Jiaojiao felt her self-esteem take a nosedive.

"You! You dare disregard me!" Su Jiaojiao nearly pounced on her but Xie Man held her back.

At that moment, Su Jiaojiao was so red in the face, she looked like she could vomit 10 litres of blood.

"Aunty, hurry up and roll if you don't have anything to say anymore," Chang Ying softly goaded from behind Xie Man who was thankfully standing between the two women and holding back the infuriated Su Jiaojiao.

"Sister Ying, how can you talk to aunty like that?" a familiar soft-toned, gentle voice exclaimed.

Chang Ying turned her head and saw that Feifei was standing a few feet away from them. Her appearance like an immaculate student and a cute schoolgirl rolled into one. Her school uniform was still worn neatly on her body without any creases. Her eyes were bright and full of hope, and her hands cutely clung to the straps of her schoolbag.

Chang Ying smelled a trap. It was still a bit early to come back now. Even Lu Ching who was in the third year of middle school was staying back later, taking lessons after school. So why was the explemary third-year student and student council poster girl, Feifei, not doing the same?

"Xie Man, are you okay?" Feifei hurried to her side and asked.

Xie Man nodded and said, "I just came to borrow something from Chang Ying, unexpectedly this..." she blushed. "Things got out of hand."