Chapter 9.1

"Where is that shameless Lu family?" A sharp female voice shouted outside the gate. "Come outside!"

Everyone stiffly turned towards the gate. A dark look passed over Grandpa Lu and Mo Yue's faces. That voice, it was Shu's mother!

Her coarse female voice was fairly distinct among the villagers, especially since she would occasionally go around arguing with people from time to time.

Chang Ying frowned, confused. This was understandable, she had never met Shu's mother before. And it was Lu Chen who had to deal with the woman at village head's house the previous night.

Looking at the others, Chang Ying asked, "Who is this rude person and why are they disturbing us?"

"It's the old woman that gave birth to that waste of air, Yao Shu," Mo Yue said in an aggrieved tone.

Shu's mother kept shouting outside and cursing the Lu family. The noise and overflowing bad words made the young ones, Lu Ching and Jin Ruishi, tuck their necks in and quietly watch the food being made.

The light air from earlier was gone.

Noticing the restrained atmosphere around them, Mo Yue grit her teeth and stood up.

Grandpa Lu clicked his tongue a few times at Mo Yue and said, "Ignore her."

Mo Yue frowned but she stood in place respectfully. "But she is really going too far. Her dirty words might start rumours among our neighbours."

Grandpa Lu shook his head, dismissively. "Any serious person we need to worry about saving face with, would be at their farms around this time. Any one else is just lazy or of no consequence."

Mo Yue thought about his words, then sat down. Grandpa Lu's words were true. Most villagers were farmers and would be at their farms by this time. Mo Yue had not gone to the farm today because she wanted to look after her daughter in-law. After what had just happened, she wanted to be around in case Chang Ying needed another female to take to.

And how right she was to stay!

Look at the shrew that ran to the door to start shouting this morning. Mo Yue continued to work but she sent a fiery glare in the direction of the gate from time to time.

The Lu family made a light porridge breakfast. All the while the crazy woman was still shouting outside.

The small family quietly sat down and ate their breakfast whilst listening to the music of Shu's mother raining curses on them. When they were almost done, they heard woman loudly converse with Shu's mother outside.

"Oh my, oh my, so our Lu family has married this kind of loose woman? Ahh, this Chang Ying is a bad omen. How many days has she been here and she has already caused trouble for the entire village."

Grandpa Lu's face darkened immediately. The old man looked towards the gate that blocked the speakers from their view. His eyes were solemn and a little bit disappointed.

Then they heard Shu's mother snort in contempt. "Who doesn't know that wayward new wife seduced my son for a morsel of food? Instead of punishing his wife, that scum Lu Chen nearly beat my son into an early grave."

"Hmm, Lu Chen is too blinded by love. A vulgar woman like that ought to be beaten until she gets some morals. Her parents didn't beat her enough that's why she is so loose. It is her husband's duty to discipline her," the other female loudly scolded with a faint lisp.

The two voices verbally lashed the Lu family. Shu's mother continued to pick fault, while the new lady just lightly agreed and goaded her on.

A frown appeared above Chang Ying's brows and she scowled at the gate.