Chapter 27

Su Jiaojiao's smile deepened. "Her Xie family borrowed the Lu family money to pay for Lu Chen's highschool entrance exam back then. They are very good, they didn't even harass the Lu family to pay back on time back then."

Chang Ying was at loss of what to do with this information. It was clear that Su Jiaojiao was buttering her up to soften her shell.

"The relationship is good. The Lu family are good creditors and the Xies are good debtors." Chang Ying replied tacitly.

"You don't know, but if they hadn't given the Lu family that money, Lu Chen won't have gone to high school where you both met. So they are your matchmakers!"

Chang Ying only nodded. "Fate is the final decider of marriages. We, humans, are mere tools moved by it."

Seeing she could not squeeze a good word of appreciation for the Xie family out of Chang Ying's mouth. Su Jiaojiao bit her dry lip in frustration. After a few more useless sentences, her face finally fell.

Su Jiaojiao swiftly changed her tune. He tone became harsh and reprimanding. "Chang Ying, what is all this long, meaningless phrases you are spitting? You are educated, don't you know the meaning of appreciation? As Lu Chen's wife you should also shoulder his burden and show humility for the Xie family."

Su Jiaojiao was boiling over with indignation. She did not go to school so the phrases Chang Ying used to play tai chi with her went over her head. She felt more and more that Chang Ying was indirectly belittling her for her meagre education. Su Jiaojiao was not a soft persimmon. Since Chang Ying did not bend to the soft method, she swiftly adopted the tone of an adult scolding a junior.

After all, Mo Yue was out of earshot and Lu Chen was gone. Her teeth had been aching since she saw Chang Ying hiding in Lu Chen's arms as he valiantly defended her against Big Shu's mother at the gate that day. Today, their was no one to protect this small rabbit, Su Jiaojiao glared at Chang Ying fiercely. She would definitely use this opportunity to imbue into this girl the meaning of fearing her seniors.

"Aunty, I think you have misunderstood me." Chang Ying replied politely, unfazed by the woman.

Su Jiaojiao twisted her face into a menacing sneer. "You junior, you don't know how to get me properly but I didn't mind it. Do you know how many daughter-in-laws get beaten to straighten them out. You are lucky I'm not dragging you to the village heads house to give you public punishment."

Chang Ying chuckled softly at her threat. Too soft, this Su Jiaojiao was not worth playing with at all. She only barked and flounced around to display her illusionary might, unlike Feifei who would bite hard and quickly return to the shadows.

Chang Ying slowly shook her head and scoffed at the woman, "Village head? I heard the man that tried to assault me is related to him. My husband and I haven't followed up on the case since then or gone to demand public punishment for that rascal. It's about time we go, if aunty is kind enough to lead me there,all the better. Otherwise, should we think of going to the police instead?"

Su Jiaojiao's complexion blanched like a vegetable in hot water. Her body stiffed as she spluttered out gibberish protests. Finally, she grit her teeth, gathered herself and pointed a thin finger at Chang Ying. "Are you crazy? How dare you talk to your elder like this!"

"Aunty came for a favour today, right? I'm sorry but I can't do it. You can go back now. We still have work to do here."

"Oh," Chang Ying's face brightened up in surprise. "Is aunty still standing here because she is enthusiastic to help out too? Too bad," she clicked her tongue in disappointment, "I'm sorry but we can't accept your help, please leave."

"Wait," Xue Man called out. "We just want to borrow something from you."

Chang Ying scrunched her brows. She had nothing against this girl but knowing Su Jiaojiao, it was not going to be anything good. "Xie Man, I don't think our Lu family has anything worth borrowing. If you want me to do something for you, I'm sorry. Despite my reputation as a town girl, I quite unskilled and lacking. Please see yourself and aunty out."

Although Chang Ying's voice was calm and polite throughout, it did not lack firm resolve that said she won't change her stance. Her attitude could be said to be neither rude nor submissive, neither proud nor servile. When she stood there and spoke, her every word and action gave off the feeling of a cultured person.

In fact, Chang Ying's father was a teacher. So her character in public always reflected on her father. If she behaved badly, no matter how justified it was, people would berate her father as a terrible role model to teach children.

Her upbringing made her more thoughtful of her actions towards others. Things like working hard, she could do, but Chang Ying could never bring herself to fight or be involved in physical altercations. Such methods were too...barbaric.

Xie Man was stunned at Chang Ying's firm refusal. She could not believe that this young person who was also her age was able to easily dismiss a family senior. She didn't expect Chang Ying to be so capable.

Well, Xie Man had also admired Lu Chen like all the other village girls and school girls,and whatever other girl that fell for Lu Chen. But because the Lu family was so poor, her father disdained Lu Chen. Girls fell for a beautiful appearance, but parents were moved by a stable future...or cash flow.

Many parents swiftly scratched out the idea of a pretty boy like Lu Chen out of their young daughters' heads by vividly painting a gloomy life of struggle. Most girls quickly became practical, while the rest were firmly straightened out to behave by their parents So like lots of other young girls, Xie Man was disappointed and her crush never went beyond that.

Still, in Xie Man's young, girly heart, she was still bitter when she heard Lu Chen was snatched up by one of those predatory town girls. Such a handsome man, who wouldn't want a good looking husband? His dashing appearance was enough to fill her stomach for three days!

"You dare to drive me out, Chang Ying? You get out of the Lu family! We don't need a disrespectful girl like you to marry in! You better learn your place now, otherwise you will learn under a cane!" Su Jiaojiao walked up to the pile of woods. She grabbed a short: thin stick and waved it at Chang Ying, threateningly.

Chang Ying did not flinch or hesitate before she said, "This is my home. Aunty has separated from our Lu family. If people hear this matter they might misunderstand you as two-faced, wanting to eat your cake and have it. You came here from outside, what gives you the audacity to drive me out? In proper words, aunty, aren't you an outsider now?"

It was simply a stick. There were plenty of sticks in the courtyard, she was not afraid of the small thing Su Jiaojiao was waving in her hand. Still, Chang Ying was rational. These village women had tough, strong bodies. Even if Chang Ying grabbed a bigger stick, fighting Su Jiaojiao with her average feminine strength would be throwing an egg against a rock. She could reopen her wounds, lose some teeth, fracture her bones, and her face...if she was beaten black and blue and scratched with those claws Su Jiaojiao called fingernails, Chang Ying would just cry!

She would become the most pitiful person across the list of reincarnators, rebirthers and transmigrators if her appearance, that wasn't marred in her previous life, was ruined by a vicious relative.

A reborn girl, without a cheat or golden finger like her, had to be practical, ne!