Chapter 30

Feifei stole a glance at Chang Ying after she finished speaking. She didn't want Lu Chen to think she was a thoughtless, stupid person, who did not think before they acted. She wanted him to see the kindness and compassion she put behind her every action.

Chang Ying hummed with an unconcerned expression on her face. "You seem pretty close to this Xie Man, even calling her Man-er. Tell me," Chang Ying leaned forward with a queer smile, "Su Jiaojiao was not there on my wedding day, our gathering was only the family members here and my family, so how did they know I have a wedding dress that suited her needs?"

Feifei's eyes shrank. She had been addressing Xie Man affectionately to build up some empathy in the family so they could subconsciously feel closer and goad Chang Ying to give out the dress. But she did not expect it to turn around and bite her.

Feifei looked around nervously and said, "Why are you asking me? I don't know anything. Maybe they saw you on the way here that day."

Chang Ying continued to eat and did not bother with this two-faced snake anymore. No matter how much she squeezed, if Feifei was not caught red-handed, she would continue to put up her innocuous facade.

At this time, Lu Chen looked at his grandfather and said, "Grandpa, I don't think the Xie family will pressure us with old matters. But in the future, I don't want people to take advantage of Chang Ying because of our old debts."

"I understand," the old man slowly said and gave a heavy sigh. "The favours others have done for us, we will remember. But it will be bad if they become covetous of the small things we treasure. Tomorrow," he paused and looked around before his eyes tell on mi Yue. Then he continued, "Tomorrow, your mother will accompany me to the Xie household. We will explain to them that they can't take Chang Ying's bridal gown. At most, we will send their daughter a wedding gift to show our appreciation."

Chang Ying nodded in agreement. "Do we still owe money around? I can help out."

If the Lu family still owed money, it would make it harder to have a firm stand without lowering their heads a but to their creditors.

Mo Yue understood Chang Ying's underlying meaning and immediately said, "No, it's enough. We have settled the Xie family debt since last year. And the money you gave, along with Lu Chen and Lu Zhi's income, is enough to settle everything."

"Don't worry anymore, my child." Grandpa Lu comforted her, smiling warmly at her.

The family fell into a harmonious mood at the dinner table, save for one person. Feifei occasionally threw sharp glances at Chang Ying from behind her bowl, thinking the other lady did not notice her ill-intentioned looks.

*****

The following morning, Chang Ying woke up to the sun rays of dawn spilling into the room unabashedly through the open window. After tossing and turning lazily on the bed for awhile, she finally decided to wake up fully.

The first thing she noticed was the noticeable absence of her bedmate. A simple peek outside and a look at the workclothes he had prepared for the day neatly hung on the wall, she gathered he had probably gone to clean up.

She grumbled something about herself turning lazy as she struggled off the mattress to her feet.

She began to pick out clothes for the day. Her brain kicked off with the mundane activity and her mind started working through the ideas that had been swirling over and over in it for the past few days.

She silently sorted through the frilly skirts and bright coloured dresses for something more comfortable.

For one thing, Lu Chen was right. She was thinking of opening her own business now that she had funds, preferably a shop. But the commodity her shop was going to sell was the main problem. Even with her rebirth status and future knowledge, she still had to do a market survey on prices, suppliers, potential consumer base, profit margin, shop location and so on.