Chapter 22

A/N
I haven't edited this chapter yet, I hope you don't mind.

*****
After receiving payment, the three slowly walked out of the mall as if afraid of waking from from this dream.

Lu Zhi turned to the couple,her legs still shaking like jello beneath her dress.  "Chang Ying, we should go to the bank immediately. This amount of money...we can't keep it at home."

Chang Ying nodded in agreement. She had already been working out he own plans in her head. "Hmm, I agree. We should deposit the cheque in a bank account. Once we have a good business opportunity in the future, we can use it."

Lu Zhi was taken aback. "Business? You are going to start a business? What if you make a loss? Isn't it better to just save the money?"

In this era, most people did not think of starting a business and being their own boss even though there were more opportunities. Perhaps due to the influence of the previous era, it was more stable to be an employee.

Lu Chen stepped forward. He paced his hand on the small of each woman's back and gently nudged them to keep walking. Since Lu Zhi had stopped on the pathwa to have their conversations.

"It's not the best place to discuss money or business," Lu Chen reminded them. "And Chang Ying earned a lot today. Let her do what she wants, business or savings. It was her outstanding idea that brought us here in the first place."

Lu Zhi sighed and pursed her lips as they slowly continued to walk. "Chang Ying, you don't know this. But all those food stall owners have to face a lot of trouble. They might not even make profit but they need to settle local vigilantes for protection, buy daily tax tickets or something, and pay rent, pay for for or business licence and whatever more costs. You can't start a business without knowing everything in and out."

Chang Ying let her words sink in. It was true. While business in this era was prosperous, it was cutthroat on every level, whether big, medium or small sized. There were too many hidden costs and people waiting to take advantage.

"We can discuss this when we get home. Sister Zhi, I want to take Chang Ying to the hospital and have them do some tests on those swellings on her arm. Will you go home first or wait for us?"

"Huh? I forgot about those swellings, it's good you remembered." Lu Zhi waved her palm in front of her face like a fan. "Of course, I'll go with you!"

Lu Chen scoffed and raised his hands. Both hands were holding generously filled bags of takeout from the restaurant. Aside from Yang Yangyuan's first order, his secretary had also ordered a lot later, in a bid to make up with them. "Big sister, did you forget the  gifts Chang Ying and your boss told you to bring home on their behalf? Do you expect us to carry bags scenting like food around?"

Lu Zhi looked at the bags and chuckled happily. "Ahh, was I wrong, should I have feigned fake politeness and refused? Hmph! Grandpa, mother and the little ones haven't tasted meat in nearly two years. The meat we served at your wedding banquet was just enough for your in-laws."

Lu Chen's eyebrows twitched and he glanced at Chang Ying, embarrassed that she found out such a less-than-savoury detail. Then he looked at his sister and said, "I'm not complaining about free food, but we can't walk around with it. We should reheat it soon. We didn't make an appointment at the hospital, it's already past lunchtime, who knows how long I'll spend with Chang Ying there?"

Lu Zhi clicked her tongue, dissatisfied.  "Why can't I go with Chang Ying to the hospital? You are a guy, just leave us ladies alone."

Chang Ying chuckled helplessly. These two siblings just made a decision for her to take her to the hospital and didn't even ask for her input.