Chapter 1

Book By Twinkle Fairy

***

Lu Chen walked briskly down the dirt road, his expression was colder than ice. Behind him, a young girl about eighteen or nineteen with a very meek demure pair of large doe-like eyes breathlessly jogged to catch up with him.

"Big brother, big brother! Please wait, don't hurry like that. Calm down first, they might be wrong. Maybe they didn't see well. How can sister-in-law cheat on you just a few weeks after your wedding?" The soft, doe-eyed girl shouted between her breaths at his back.

Seeing that he did not stop, the girl gathered her strength and ran after him. No matter what, she must not miss this new drama in the village!

Behind the two that hurried down the dirt path, a few villagers stretched their necks to look at them and turned to each other curiously.

"Hey, what happened?" One man asked the other villagers around him.

The villagers wore patched, faded clothes. Their faces and bodies were brown with dirt from the hard day of farm work but their eyes still shone eagerly at the inkling of fresh gossip.

"Who knows? That goody two-shoes boy marching like he is going to kill a demon. Didn't he just come back this very afternoon with the other men that went to dig the trenches upstream? He is still so energetic. Ah, it's good to be young!"

"What do you know? I just walked past the Lu house and heard the whole matter. I even saw Lu Chen burst out of the house in anger. That sweet girl, Feifei, couldn't calm him down at all today." Another villager answered with a sly grin.

"Don't tease our appetite, tell us already! That boy from the Lu family is so calm and polite all the time, what could make him so angry?"

The villager with the juicy information chuckled and licked his lips much to the exasperation of the other villagers. "Ah, don't burn me with your eyes, I'll talk. I heard the woman he married a few weeks ago is having an affair!"

"What!"

Several villagers stared at the informant with wide eyes or gaping mouths.

The man nodded eagerly as if to confirm his own words and continued, "His new bride is so daring to wear him a green hat just after their wedding. As we speak, she is still humping in the hay with the man somewhere!"

A woman clicked her tongue and shook her head with a pitiful expression. "That Lu Chen is too unfortunate. No wonder he is so vigorous instead of resting after so many weeks of tiring work."

The other villagers started to discuss among themselves excitedly.

"I knew it! Did you see the way the new bride's family turned their nose at Lu family on the wedding day?"

"I heard they wanted the Lu family to cook a whole pig for the wedding feast. They even insisted Lu Chen must promise to move into his own house within three years."

"Outrageous! I live with my kids and grandkids in the same courtyard, there is nothing wrong. Those townsfolk are way too unreasonable."

"And they have no sense of morality too. Lu Chen left the next day to go and fulfil his communal service, and that town bride? While her husband is digging trenches, she is digging into other men, shameless!"

"What do you expect? I hear it is normal for girls in town to sleep around before their wedding. They are all loose women, she can't even stay a few weeks before finding another man to warm her body."

"Ah, these girls from outside our village have no character, all greedy, loose, lazy and disrespectful wretches."

"How disgraceful!"