Chapter 12

The next day, Lu Chen and Chang Ying got up before dawn to prepare to go to town.

Chang Ying picked out a long sleeve blouse that would cover her wound. She knew if her mother saw her injury, she would raise hell. Her mother had stoutly stood against her marrying into this poor village household, she thought it was below their family's status. .

Everyone usually got up early. Lu Zhi had to leave early to leave for work, Mo Yue had to organise the household, clean, cook and prepare, before leaving for the farm. And Grandpa Lu had a habit of getting up early after doing so all his life. So everyone, except the youngest ones, was ready when Lu Chen and Chang Ying came out.

The school holiday was still on, so Feifei and Lu Ching could rest in for longer and help out in the family farm later in the day.

Mo Yue looked particularly uneasy, she had even rushed out to pack a large basket full of fresh fruits for her in-laws. She was so worried about what Chang Ying's family would think when they saw the wound on her hand. Mo Yue recalled the panic she felt years ago when she too went to visit her daughter, Lu Zhi, and saw signs of maltreatment on her only daughter. She didn't want Chang Ying's parents to think Chang Ying was being treated badly, so she doubled down and went around the village till the basket was heaped high with every fruit around. They were poor but the Lu family could still find some fruit from trees around the village.

Chang Ying left with Lu Chen and Lu Zhi. The three headed to town together. When they got to the outskirts, Lu Zhi came down from the *wagon and joined the criwd of dull faced factory workers at the stop.

Chang Ying looked on at the crowd, she too had once been one of those dull faced people who had given up on bigger things and simply lived each day eating, sleeping and working.

They got to the construction area where she heard Lu Chen had started work. Still, Lu Chen showed no signs of coming down.

Chang Ying poked him. "We are at your stop."

Lu Chen glanced at her then looked forward. "Not today. I'll follow you to greet mother-in-law."

Chang Ying's face stiffened. Follow her? He absolutely must not! "No, please go to work!"

Lu Chen turned to her and looked at her strangely.

Chang Ying coughed. "The family needs your day wages at home. And I just want to visit my mother without any tension. You know how she feels about our marriage. She might say hurtful words, I don't want you to hear them."

"I doesn't matter," Lu Chen said calmly.

"It does!" Chang Ying grasped his arm, frantic. She had to find a way for him not to go. "I...I just want to have a simple, relaxing visit today. When she comes to terms with our marriage, we can go together to visit her happily."

Lu Chen stared at her then at the weak, feminine hand grasping at his arm. Her eyes were wide and gazing up at him, almost appealing to him. The corner of Lu Chen's lips lifted up a bit, she looked adorable.

He raised his hand and patted her head. She was acting a bit suspicious just now, bit since she already assured him that she would come back, then he could only wait for her. Whatever she needed with her family, she might be too embarrassed in front of him.

Lu Chen nodded. "Okay."

He came down from the wagon and stood by the side. Chang Ying felt his eyes on her, watching her as the wagon moved out of sight into the town.

When she got to town, she lifted her basket and headed to a few shops that sold and pawned wedding gown. She walked around till late morning and she still couldn't find a place that wanted to buy the gown for a good price.