{ Chapter Five }

Right before the end of his shift, Elliot got a text from his wife. For the first time in over a year, Olivia actually wanted him to come home so they could talk through what happened that horrible night many months ago. Olivia even made sure to tell Elliot that she had Lucy drop the kids off with Bernie, so they would be alone.

"Where did you end up going?" Elliot asked, after putting his phone away and packing up to head home.

"What?" Amanda sighed softly. She was exhausted and her face hurt from where Olivia slapped her. It happened quickly, but she knew that she deserved it. And to keep herself from crying and running back to Atlanta, Amanda had to keep telling herself that she'd take all of Olivia's anger as long as Jenna got to be around Elliot and hopefully her other siblings.

"When you left to get lunch... you were gone for an hour before coming back with all of our sandwiches." Elliot spoke. Amanda frowned as she pulled her jacket on and turned to look at Elliot.

"I went to see the kids... I missed them." Amanda lied.

"I miss my kids too... I hope that after tonight I can see them more often. I'd also like to have Jenna really be a part of my family." Elliot said with a small smile. He looked over at Amanda and saw the tears on her cheeks. He didn't get a chance to ask her what was wrong, before she was walking to the door.

"Have a good night, Elliot."

///

As Amanda was heading back to her apartment to hold her kids, Elliot was driving out to Queens where his wife was waiting for him. He had stopped and grabbed a bottle of wine and a half dozen roses before finally heading towards home. He hated his apartment, and was praying that after talking everything through with his wife, that he could actually go home again.

"Liv?" Elliot called softly, as he stepped into the house.

"Hey." Olivia breathed, as she walked from the kitchen.

"So, you wanted to talk?"

"Yeah, I did... are those for me?" Olivia whispered, as a light blush grew in her cheeks.

"Oh, yeah! I wanted to try and make things up to you. So I guess that this is kinda a bribe." Elliot chuckled weakly.

"Thanks... these are super pretty. I think that maybe we should eat and then start talking."

"Anything you want to do."

They ate dinner together and each downed a glass of wine. Only a few words were exchanged during the meal, and it was about passing the salt or asking about if the other wanted a refill of their wine.

But that silence and awkwardness couldn't last all night. They had to open up to each other, so that they might be able to repair their relationship.

"How was work?" Olivia questioned, as she sat on the sofa and twisted her rings around.

"It was okay. Amanda disappeared for an hour... but let's not talk about her." Elliot sighed when he saw darkness flash over his wife's face when Amanda's name was spoken.

"But we kinda have to talk about her. She is the mother of your youngest daughter."

"Before we get started, can I ask you something?"

"It really depends, El... you could ask a question that would completely fuck over our relationship for good." Olivia frowned. She still hadn't lifted her eyes from her hands because she was so nervous. She didn't know if she'd be able to just shove all of her anger onto Amanda, when it takes two to sleep together and make a baby.

"What made you change your mind? You were pretty certain that you didn't want to forgive me." Elliot sighed softly.

"Amanda." Olivia spoke plainly.

"Amanda? What?" Elliot asked weakly.

"She came over here. She told me to forgive you... that I could hate her but that I had to give you a shot. You are my husband, and we have been in some sort of relationship since I got out of the academy. El, I love you. I didn't even stop when I found out about everything that happened. And I think that when Amanda came over and took all the blame, that it made me realize that I had to really try. You have tried your hardest, and I haven't even tried at all." Olivia whispered.

Elliot stood and walked over to his wife. He sank down onto the coffee table before reaching out and gently touching her chin. He lifted her head up and locked eyes with her.

"I love you too, baby. I have loved you since you were twenty-one. I really want to continue our marriage, because it hurts to be away from you."

"Do you think that maybe we should try therapy?"

"I will do anything you want, Liv. We just need to work on everything that is causing problems between us. Not only for the sake of us, but also for the sake of our kids."

"What are we going to do about Jenna?" Olivia whispered. She was hoping that Elliot might change his mind on wanting to be Jenna's father, but she also knew that Elliot would never just abandon her. He was too good of a father to do that.

"I want her to be just as much apart of our family as our other kids are. I want her to feel safe here... and loved. I want her to feel incredibly loved."

"I need to meet her, and there has to be a schedule figured out."

"Like custody?" Elliot asked weakly. He didn't want Amanda to think that he was trying to steal Jenna from her, especially since that might make her run away.

"We don't have to go through the court, but we aren't allowing Amanda to make all the calls. Jenna is your daughter too."

///

All night, Amanda kept looking at her phone to see if Elliot would contact her about the talk he was having with his wife. She was also wondering if he'd be angry that she took the issue into her own hands and dealt with it.

When she was just about to put her phone away and get ready for bed, Olivia called her.

"Olivia? Is everything okay?" Amanda asked weakly.

"Thanks." Olivia spoke plainly before hanging up.