{ Chapter Eighteen }

Amanda opened her eyes and looked around her ICU room. Sitting on one side of her was Dominick. He had an open Bible laying on his lap, but he must have fallen asleep while reading it. Then to the other side sat Olivia and Elliot. They were also sleeping, and Amanda could see a pinkish red tinge to Olivia's hands.

There was a lot that Amanda observed, and she knew that they were all sitting around her because she had been shot. She had been shot in the court's conference room that was supposed to serve as a safe place to discuss Jimmy's custody. Instead, it turned into a bloody crime scene.

"Dom." Amanda croaked out.

"Huh?" Dominick yawned, before opening his eyes and looking across Amanda's bed and to where Olivia and Elliot were still sleeping.

"Can you not recognize my voice?" Amanda said with a weak smile.

"Mandy." Dominick spoke quickly as he sat forward and grabbed his fiancee's hand.

"Hey, babe." Amanda spoke weakly, her eyes barely staying open.

"How are you feeling? How is your pain?" Dominick asked, as he stood before bridging the gap between himself and his fiancee.

"I'm sore... like in my stomach and chest. Where was I shot?" Amanda questioned.

"Uh, your stomach, your chest, and your thigh. You are gonna have a gnarly scare on your left thigh." Dominick frowned.

"At least I'm alive, right? At least I'm still here to annoy the hell out of you, Liv, and El?" Amanda grinned.

"I never want you to get shot again, okay? Today was scary, and our luck you will get shot again once everything gets back to going great." Dominick breathed.

"I rarely get shot on the job, so don't worry. Now, climb in beside me. I want to cuddle."

"Are you sure? The bed shifting under my ass might not be the best thing for you right now." Dominick said with a weak laugh.

"Don't worry about me, Dom. I love your ass, so bring it a bit closer."

///

Amanda ended up falling asleep in Dominick's arms. But Dominick couldn't fall back asleep. He stayed awake and just listened to Amanda's monitors as they beeped, and as Elliot snored. There was a lot of noise, but he needed that right now. It gave him something to focus on, while his fiancee got much needed sleep.

"Carisi?" Olivia asked once she woke up. She had only woken up since the sun started to shine into the room.

"Hey, Liv." He replied.

"Did she wake up? Is that why you are laying with her?" Olivia asked quickly as she stood and moved to the bed. She gently caressed Amanda's hair as she watched her shift more into Dominick's side.

"She did, but she was only awake for like five minutes before she fell back asleep. She insisted that I hold her, and I probably will never be able to tell her no from now on... so that's how I got here." Dominick sighed.

"How is she doing?" She asked, and Dominick shrugged a bit.

"She said she's sore, but didn't say much of anything else... Liv, how do you make it through something like this?" Dominick whispered as he looked down at where Amanda had her hand against his chest.

"Like a shooting?" Olivia questioned, and Dominick nodded.

"Yeah, like the love of your life getting shot. I know that Elliot has gotten shot before, many times, so how do you make it past it? I don't know what to expect in regards to her recovery and if we both will have nightmares or something."

"Nightmares are extremely common, trust me. Every time Elliot got shot, I ended up having horrible nightmares, especially since he always got shot either while I was pregnant or not long after we had a baby. He also got nightmares, but he never talked to me about it... and everyone recovers differently from a shooting. We just need to pray that she doesn't get an infection." Olivia replied softly, before smiling when she saw Amanda open her eyes.

"Are y'all talking about me?" She yawned, and Olivia nodded.

"Of course we are. We have no one else to talk about." Olivia chuckled.

///

Amanda spent several days in the ICU, before being moved to a normal room. She hadn't gotten an infection, which was a miracle, but she was way more lucky than one of the other victims.

"Rollins?" Trevor asked, and Amanda looked up from the pile of cards that all the kids had sent up to the hospital with Liv and Elliot.

"Hey, Trevor. How's your shoulder?" Amanda questioned, and Trevor sighed as he looked down at his arm. It was still in a sling, and he was still experiencing pain from the wound.

"It's okay. Not amazing, but okay. How are you?" Trevor sighed.

"I'm doing better. No infection, and I should be going home on Wednesday... but why are you here? You look sad." Amanda frowned.

"Uh, I just got news about Judge Harrison." Trevor breathed as he moved over and looked out the window.

"I'm assuming that she is far from okay." Amanda whispered.

"She passed away this morning, Amanda..."

"Oh, no." Amanda said with a small gasp. Trevor turned around quickly before sitting down on the chair beside her bed.

"She was just an amazing judge and person. I worked with her many times throughout the years, and we lost a really good one... but with her death, Declan's charges will be increased to murder."

"Where is he right now?" 

"Riker's Island. He will be staying there until he can get a court date, but it will be awhile since most cases are getting pushed to mourn Judge Harrison." Trevor replied.

"I hope he gets life." Amanda mumbled as she ran her hands over her face.

"I think he will, Amanda. Now, get some rest. Tell me when you get released, okay?"

"Will do. Thanks, Trevor. For everything."

///

Amanda was released on Wednesday with strict orders to stay home and recover. During her time in the hospital, Dominick had finished closing on their house and everything had been moved into it. Amanda got to recover in a house just down the road from Olivia and Elliot's house.

On her first day home, Dominick got called into work, so she was home alone. Jenna and Jimmy were with Lucy, so Amanda could relax. She pretty much laid around all day, before deciding that she wanted to go for a walk. Her leg was healing well, and her doctor even recommended that she try to strengthen it up. So she got changed before moving out the front door. She stopped on her deck before sighing softly.

"What the hell do you want now?"