{ Chapter Sixteen }

Amanda stood up quickly before running from the room. She let the heavy wood door slam behind her, before trying to escape. She barely made it to the stairs, when Elliot grabbed her by her waist and stopped her. He turned her around before locking eyes with her.

"Amanda, what's happening?" Elliot asked gently, as he took a hand away from her waist and gently brushed a tear from her cheek.

"I-i need to go. Please let me go." Amanda whimpered as she shook.

"I won't let you run off, Amanda. Now, just tell me what is happening." Elliot ordered. Amanda swallowed hard before looking over Elliot's shoulder and saw that Trevor standing outside of the room.

"So, Kim and Declan just arrived. I bet you saw them walk in... but Kim and Declan got married this morning and Kim is pregnant... they got married just to try to get more time with Jimmy... or maybe just to steal him from me." Amanda sniffled.

"Kim is a drug addict and a former prostitute. She has been arrested several times and is a bad person. I don't think that Declan and Kim getting married will really change things. Now, wipe those tears and get back in there. Fight for the little boy that you love so very much. I will be in there soon, and so will Liv. We will be here with you." Elliot spoke softly.

"I'm scared, El. Incredibly scared that Jimmy will be given to them, and then taken from the city, state, or even the country. Then I will never get to watch my little boy grow up... and I want to watch him turn into an amazing man one day."

"And he will be an amazing man thanks to you, Dominick, and clearly me." Elliot teased.

Amanda laughed weakly before wrapping her arms around Elliot and hugging him tightly.

"Thanks, El. For doing this for me."

"I'd do anything for you, Amanda. And that will never change."

///

Amanda went back into the room and sat beside Trevor. They listened to the judge as she ordered Kim to leave the room, before the session started. 

"So this is about the custody of James Adam Rollins, correct?" Judge Harrison asked, as she leaned back in her chair and looked between Amanda and Declan.

"Your honor, his last name is Murphy-" Marie started, but then Judge Harrison interrupted her.

"I have a copy of James' birth certificate right here, and his last name is Rollins, so please do not bring that up again. Mr. Murphy, you are seeking custody of your son, correct?" Judge Harrison sighed.

"Yes, your honor. I'd like as much custody of my son as possible."

"Why?" She questioned.

"Because Amanda has kept Jimmy from me for too long. She keeps pushing me away, without letting Jimmy decide if he wants to be around me or not. My wife and I are tired of not getting the time that we deserve." Declan frowned, as he stood and buttoned his suit jacket.

"What is the current custody agreement and which judge put it into effect?" Judge Harrison asked.

"There isn't a standing custody agreement, your honor. Mr. Murphy was absent for the first several years of James' life, and we have the emails that state that Mr. Murphy didn't want anything to do with James." Trevor spoke, before walking over and passing Judge Harrison the emails before tossing them down in front of Marie and Declan.

"Your honor, I don't think that these are real. And if they are, my client can change his mind and decide that he wants time with his son since he hasn't signed away his rights."

"I will decide that." Judge Harrison said with a smile, before the arguing continued.

///

When it was time to start bringing in character witnesses, Kim got to go first since Declan didn't have anyone else but her to talk on his behalf. She sat at the far end of the table and acted all high and mighty as she played with her wedding band or gently touched her midsection.

"Declan is an amazing man, and he is the best father for Jimmy and our little one." Kim smiled.

"How often does Declan see Jimmy without a custody agreement?" Judge Harrison asked.

"He never gets to see him because Mandy doesn't let him see her at all. She ignores our calls and always pretends to not be home when we go by to see him. She has tried to brainwash our sweet baby into hating us." Kim frowned, as she faked tears.

"How long have you and your husband been married?"

"We got married today so we can be sure that he has a mother and father to love and support him through everything. Jimmy needs a father and a mother, and he can only get it from us. Me and Declan." Kim spoke, before shooting her smile at Amanda.

Amanda swallowed hard before Kim was dismissed from the room. Olivia was called in next, and she gave Amanda a gentle smile as she sat.

"Detective Benson?" Judge Harrison asked, and Olivia nodded.

"Yes, your honor."

"How do you know Ms. Rollins?" Judge Harrison asked, before letting Trevor get into his questions. Marie had told Judge Harrison that she knew Kim was a strong witness, and that she wanted to prove it to her and the mediator that by having them question her.

"I am her co-worker, friend, and the step-mother to her daughter. I have known her since she moved to Manhattan, and we brought her into our family." Olivia explained.

"And do you know Mr. Murphy?" Judge Harrison sighed.

"Yes, I do. He was my superior for awhile, and he was with Amanda one time which led to Jimmy."

"And his wife?" Judge Harrison asked.

"Your honor, Detective Benson is Ms. Rollins' character witness. She-"

"I can see through the background checks that have been run, that Kim Murphy has been arrested several times for drug related charges and for prostitution. I also see that Detective Benson and Detective Rollins both have arrested Kim for charges. So I feel like she can tell us a little more about the woman who wants to help raise James Rollins with his father."