21

Kaykay

"Hey, baby," I said quietly, "I am so proud of you,"

I tucked Isabelle's hair out of the way, her face so peaceful as if she was asleep. She always seemed most peaceful when she wasn't aware of the world around her.

"I know this is scary, but Luke and Sierra are gonna wake you up in a couple of days all stitched up. You aren't stuck, okay? You're in a medically induced coma that will come out of. Try and rest, your body needs it,"

"Hey," Ash said, "May I sit?"

"Yeah,"

"She's stable, look,"

"Do you think she can hear me?"

"Maybe, there's no harm in speaking to her just in case. I can leave you alone,"

"No, it's okay. I have been so closed off lately, and I hate that,"

"I can't blame you," he said, "But you know I would listen to anything. Being vulnerable is hard, but I love you more than anyone in the entire world, and I will always support you,"

"For her, I am that person. I can't do this Ash,"

"You're that person to me too, and you have done that. You are the best support someone could ever ask for,"

"It's different though. She's just a kid, I have to be like a parent,"

"You have to be like an older sister. Past the making sure she is fed, warm and healthy, you are there to gossip with. To have fun with, and be there when your parents aren't. Which unfortunately, is all the time, but you've got all of us,"

"I love you so, so much," I whispered, kissing him, then kissing him again.

"Tonight, me and you are gonna go home. We are going to relax, and sleep, and let the doctors take care of her. Calum is gonna stay with her, he is gonna sleep in here,"

"But what if she can hear? She's gonna be so scared,"

"She trusts Calum. Who knows, she might be having her best life right now out in the jungle, or on the beach,"

"Or her worst nightmare,"

"Kaykay, we are going home. Even if she was in a nightmare, you couldn't stop it,"

"Okay,"

I held her hand and quietly hummed, just incase she was scared. I did it for about five minutes, to be safe, and then kissed her head before leaving.

We clocked out and got into Ashton's car, my knee bouncing. I tried to hard to hold my tears in, but in the end I had to let them flow.

"I promised her she'd be okay,"

"And she will be. Let's get you inside, okay?"

"Okay,"

"We can work this all out,"

"It hurts,"

"Where?"

"It just hurts,"

He nodded and got out his side of the car, taking my hand to pull me out of my own. Tightly, he hugged me, and rested his head in my shoulder.

"I'm scared too, I feel like I have grown attached to her. But with that comes the knowledge that she is strong, and a fighter. Right now, she is getting a rest, and will come back stronger,"

"She's not even been closed up,"

"That happens sometimes, you know that,"

"Excuse me Dr Ashton, mummy said she saw you have been working very hard, and might be stressed, so she made you lasagna,"

I wiped my tears and looked down to see one of our neighbour's kids, Ashton crouching down to take the food.

"Wow, thankyou! I am very grateful,"

His mum stood at the end of their drive and I mouthed a 'thankyou," whilst trying not to cry again.

"Lasagna is my favourite, I hope you enjoy it. Where is the girl?"

"She is at hospital right now, but I am sure you can say hi when she comes home!"

"Okay. Have a good day,"

"You too buddy,"

He ran off and Ash stood, smiling. I gave a weak one back and shut my car door, heading inside the house. Leaving my bag at the door, I headed straight upstairs and stripped out of my scrubs, showering.

Just a couple of weeks ago, only having the two of us at home felt right. Now, it was like something was missing. Izz had made a big impact for sure.

Ashton brought my pyjamas into the bathroom, and then my towel too, wrapping me up as I got out the shower.

"I am all wet," I said as he squished me into his side.

"I don't care,"

"I should call mum and dad,"

"Do you want to do it together?"

"Yes please,"

"I'll put the lasagna on to heat, then we have an excuse to get away,"

As he walked out, I changed and towel dried my hair. Then I hug my towel up and brushed my hair, before heading downstairs.

At the table, Ash sat next to me and I began to call mum, putting it on speaker. He held my thigh under the table and I hugged his arm, shutting my eyes.

"Hello? Who is this?"

"Kaykay," I said, my stomach dropping because it meant my contact wasn't saved.

"Oh, right. What's up?"

"Isabelle had to have surgery,"

"What kind of surgery?"

"Pretty major. She stopped breathing twice, so they decided to go in and try and take the cancer out. Her kidney... her,"

"Slow breaths," Ashton whispered.

"Take over for me,"

"Her kidney was removed, and she is currently in a medically induced coma because they haven't stitched her up yet," he said bluntly.

"Who are you?"

"Er, Ashton,"

"Who is Ashton?"

"Mum, you know who he is, I told you in the letters,"

"Well... you know, I can get busy. Are you dating or something?"

"Married,"

"Hm. So when will she wake up?"

"Hopefully in a couple of days,"

"Would you like us to come? We just moved into our new place,"

The question hit me like a truck. Did I want them to come? Absolutely not. Did Izz want them to come? Potentially for a couple of hours, for familiarity, but also probably not.

But they were entitled to come and see their sick daughter.

"That's up to you. She has plenty of support here,"

"We will come for a night! Won't that be lovely? I could meet your husband,"

"Erm, yeah, sure. Isabelle will have limited visiting, but um... you can stay at our house for the night,"

"I'll find flights now. See you soon!"

"Yeah... see you soon,"