3

Isabelle

"You gotta wake up, Izz,"

"What?"

"We're going out to eat, you need to get ready,"

Gently, she rubbed my tummy and I slapped her hand away, not wanting her to feel how bloated I was today.

"I'm up,"

"Wear something nice,"

I slumped out of the bed and opened the suitcase, pulling out an old dress. It wouldn't go over my stomach, though, so I ended up pulling out a skirt and putting a sweatshirt over.

"Is that the fanciest you've got?"

"Er... yeah,"

"Okay, do you wanna do your hair?"

"Anything else?"

"I was just saying because it's a nice meal outside of the house. You might've wanted to go all out,"

"I don't,"

"Okay,"

I walked behind her as we left the hotel room and went down to the car. It was only rental, but it was still nicer than any car we had owned.

"Kaitlin,"

"Please call me Kaykay, or Kay,"

"What if the judge says I have to stay with mum and dad?"

"I don't think that will happen,"

"Okay,"

"So you wanna come with me?"

"I'd rather not be with either,"

"Awh, come on, Ash and I are great,"

"Is it just you two?"

"Well we have friends, Izz,"

"What about your friends then, what do they do?"

"Well Michael is a neuro surgeon, he could give you advice. Sierra is my best friend, she does gynaecology. Calum is head of general surgery, Luke also got roped into kindaaaa gynaecology, but now he usually does surgeries and baby deliveries for that,"

"Like c-sections?"

"Yeah, things like that. Then he looks after premature babies too, it really suits him,"

"Anyone else?"

"Crystal, she does trauma. Usually we all dart around to each other's cases,"

"Cool, I guess. Don't you work long hours?"

"We work reasonable hours since we pretty much run the place,"

"Okay,"

We arrived at the restaurant and went inside, getting taken to a table for two. This was still weird, because we hadn't spoken in 13 years, but it was so nice to get out.

She was beautiful. Happy, healthy, successful- everything I wasn't.

"When I left home, I studied in New York. Then I moved to LA and did residency. I met my friends, I had an actual life, I went to therapy... and I met Ash. I was experiencing so many new things, but I still always wanted to come back,"

"Why do they want to keep me at home?"

"They think we are safer there, I honestly believed that for years, I'm surprised you don't,"

"I never listened to them. Besides, they don't have time to manipulate me anymore,"

"You're gonna love LA,"