30

Isabelle

"Fuck!"

"You okay?"

"Yeah... just had a nightmare,"

"Another one,"

I laud on my back, staring at the ceiling. Michael had turned the lamp on for me after my last nightmare, so it lit up the room, but I felt no better.

"What are they about?" Luke pressed.

"Nothing,"

"If you tell us then we can help,"

"I just have this overwhelming sense of death looming over me,"

"Your scans are very promising,"

I turned my head to them and sighed, rubbing my eyes.

"I don't think it's about me,"

"It sounds like you are overthinking things because of the schema you have of a hospital," Michael said quietly, "Nobody on this ward died today, or even this week,"

"Okay," I breathed out, "Okay,"

"Try and sleep again sweetheart, but if you can't then we can give you some medicine,"

I curled up in the duvet again and shut my eyes, fighting with my own head. After what felt like an eternity, Luke brushed his finger on my cheek and passed me sleeping medication, crouching beside me as I took it. His eyes were kind- they got softer each time- and I trusted him to stay by my side until I slept.

When I woke up on Saturday, my heart sunk. This was when I was supposed to be at home.

Instead, I was still in hospital with two snoring grown men, the beeping of machines, and was pretty sure I was starting to smell again.

I got out of bed and chose out new leggings and a jumper, then got a new towel and got in the shower. Not having to wash my hair was strange, but it made the whole thing a lot faster, and there was nothing that would sit and be wet in my back afterwards.

Appreciating the warmth, I stayed in there longer than I needed to.

Once I was changed and had gone to the toilet, I stepped back into the room and sat on one of the chairs with a book. I was growing hatred for the bed.

"Good morning," Luke mumbled, "May I use your bathroom?"

"Mhm,"

"You look like you've got a visitor,"

I looked up at the window and Kaykay stood there, giving me a small smile. I pulled the blinds up and put my hand on the window, watching as she put a mask on.

Then, she came through the door and sat at the other end of the room, smiling. I could tell by her eyes.

"Please hug me,"

"I wish I could,"

"How come these guys can be close to me, but not you?"

"I live with Ash, don't I? Me being sick was a false alarm, but he has actually had a cold,"

"Had. So he's better,"

"Pretty much, but we are being safe,"

"But I miss you,"

"I miss you too,"

"When can I hug you?"

"Let's see the situation on Monday. Tonight is still gonna be fun!"

"Probably not,"

"I'll be there," Mike said, "Crystal and I are supervising,"

"This sucks, not being able to be close to you. I need you, Kaykay,"