27

Kaykay

"A pizza party ay? That sounds fun,"

"Yeah,"

"You can go to sleep if you're tired," I chuckled, "Sierra is coming later to remove the catheter so you can pee on your own. It will be good to get the movement in, even just a small amount,"

"Rudy wants a surgery that Ash doesn't think he should have," she shot.

"Well that's up to them, you cannot change their opinion,"

"I know... I know. I am really tired,"

"Have a nap," I said, "I will stay until you are asleep,"

She shut her eyes so I gently ran my fingers through her hair, noticing a clump of it end up in my hand. I quickly put it in the bin and kissed her head instead, starting to hum.

I knew she would lose her hair, but I couldn't spring that on her right now. Not when she had already been through so much lately.

My main motivation for the huge ass lawsuit we did was being able to give her freedom for the end of her teenage years, which I had got stripped away.

But now she was stuck here, and I felt so awful about it. She needed freedom. Her heart was young and willing to learn and explore.

Once she was asleep, I let her be and headed to observe people doing rounds for a little. Her treatment days were when my mind was least focused, so when I was able to make it through the entire day without having an emergency surgery, I was ecstatic. It was supposed to be my afternoon off, but I was still on call.

When I walked back into her room, Sierra had just finished removing the catheter, and I gave Izz a high five. She reached in for a hug, so I gave her one, tucking her back under the cover.

"I am so proud of you,"

"I didn't like that,"

"Well things are looking up now. Ashton should be bringing some clothes later, how are you feeling?"

"Sick,"

"I am sorry,"

"And my hair is falling out,"

"Shuffle up,"

She let me lay beside her, so I cradled her in my arms and let her cry. Her body really couldn't take this stress, and this much crying, but even I couldn't think of a single thing she had to be happy about.

Personally, I was extremely worried for her mental health. Leaving her here, alone in her room, it did scare me. She had access to a lot of things and I had no doubt that she could pick a lock if she really wanted to.

"Let's think about things that we can do to cheer you up. We can make a bucket list for things when you're out of the hospital another day, but lets think about now ,"

"I want to go to school,"

"As soon as Calum clears you, we will get you into school,"

"And I want to be able to move around more so I can go to the common room. I am sick of this bed,"

"Yeah,"

"And I want to watch brain surgeries,"

"You know the rules,"

"But it would make me happy,"

"It would make other people very angry,"

"Oh please Kaykay?"

I looked at her, the look on her face not fooling me one bit. The small smile on her face wasn't full of light. Her eyes were about as bright as a rainy day, and the bags underneath were quite frankly terrifying to think about because it meant she hadn't slept.

"Michael is in surgery right now,"

"Let's go then,"

"If you get me in trouble you need to pull out the puppy eyes,"

"Only for you,"

Slowly, she sat up and then climbed off the bed, so I took the wheelchair over and sorted it out so that we could move.

Swiftly, we travelled through the hospital and to the gallery, sliding into it. Lewis was in there and looked towards us, chuckling to himself; I sat beside him and held Isabelle's hand.

As we watched, she smiled, and nodded along as if she knew what was going on. Perhaps she did, I didn't want to underestimate her ability.

"Mini Blaisdell, what an Earth are you doing out of bed?" Mike spoke up.

She giggled beside me and I smiled, relieved to hear it.

"He noticed,"

"He'll probably come and visit after ay?"

She nodded and continued to watch, but I could tell she was starting to feel worse and worse out of bed, so Lewis and I persuaded her to let us go back.

We moved slower this time, and as I helped her back into bed, Lewis got her medicine for the nausea. I stood back a little as he put her on it, then comforted her and found out what else she needed.

It was a shame he was on Ashton's service because he would do so well on mine, but if that wasn't what he wanted then I had to respect that.

He found her an extra blanket and a pillow, then got her some water and put the tv on, her eyes starting to droop.

Eventually, he just sat by her side and waited as she drifted off, her snores coming soon after.

"You can go back to the surgery if you want?"

"I will stay, you can go and do anything you need,"

"I'm off now," I said, looking at my watch, "I don't even know who is staying here tonight,"

"Luke, I think,"

"Okay, thank you for looking after her so well. Is there anything I can do back?"

"Tell Ashton to let me shadow him properly for the week, I am just floating around,"

"That's like asking for a million dollars, you know what he's like. However, I am sure I can have a word, Izz means lot to him,"

"I can see,"

I bit my lip and tensed as she made a noise, but she seemed to be sound asleep.

"I was surprised that he stepped up to it. As in... I knew he would care for her but I didn't imagine them getting close. I guess because I had found it so hard,"

"I am surprised that you were surprised," he chuckled, "When do you think she can go home?"

"I am hoping we can bring her back for the weekend, and that Cal can clear her to start school on Monday. She needs to see other people,"

"Oh yeah, the tutors are great, apparently. I think she'll enjoy that,"

"You see her more than me, has she said anything? Something that might make her happy, or something bothering her?"

"I think she feels a little disconnected. She hasn't really been at her new home, and it's a new area, but all she has done is sit in a bed so the nerves of getting to know this new place are going to be there everyday until she can get going,"

"I would love to take her out, I really would, but she is so weak,"

"Just, don't underestimate her. She's shown us how determined she can be,"