4

Isabelle

"It's court day sweetheart," Kaykay said, gently brushing my cheek, "Can you wake up?"

Slowly, I blinked my eyes open and met hers, which were puffy and red. She sniffed and stood, starting to busy herself with her suitcase.

"Did you cry?"

"Sorry,"

"Why?"

"Because... I am fed up of arguing like mum and dad," she said quietly, "I love you, Izz,"

"We aren't... we don't argue like mum and dad,"

"We do. We totally do,"

She turned and smiled, making me break into a small giggle. Waking up without shouting was nice.

As I stood, I staggered a little, noticing a tummy ache that hadn't been there before. It was only dull, but definitely there.

"I've ordered up some fruit salad for us, a lighter breakfast because we will probably eat some crap at the airport for lunch. You have time to shower if you want,"

"I think imma just... imma just get ready,"

"Okie dokie,"

I locked the bathroom door and let out a breath, gently rubbing my stomach. It wasn't my period, I hadn't had it last month, nor had I experienced the symptoms. Something was just wrong with me.

It kept getting worse, honestly. I struggled deal with more and more symptoms.

Now Kaykay had come along and I was scared she would find me out.

"Izz! We have to share the bathroom you know?"

"Yeah,"

"Do you have anything to wear to court?"

"I'm not dressing up,"

"You kind of have to,"

"Fine,"

I left the bathroom and slid on my skirt, then put on a turtle neck and a cardigan to cover my stomach. The fruit salads came and I ate as much as I could, then shut my suitcase and waited to leave.

Eventually she joined me, and we handed in the hotel room key.

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine, I guess,"

"You seem kind of mardy,"

"How many times do I have to tell you the situation?"

"Okay, okay, I get it,"

"Good. I am not talking in court,"

"You might have to,"

"Ah, giving me false hope that my opinion matters,"

"It does,"

"Ultimately, it doesn't. I'm 16,"

"I don't get to choose what happens in the legal system, Isabelle,"

We got in the car and she put the radio on for us, heading out of the town. I'd not travelled this far for years, so I had no clue if it had changed or not. It was pretty, though, to go into the main city.

It took quite a while to get to the court, and my stomach ache was still here. Moodily, I got out the car and followed Kaykay into the large building, both of us getting IDs clipped onto us before the lawyer escorted us away.

Her and Kaykay seemed to get along great.

"Today is the big day!"

"It is indeed,"