37

Isabelle

"Something is wrong,"

"What?"

"This hospital is preventing me from meeting my maximum level of cool,"

"You need to sleep,"

"I can't,"

"Why?"

"Ashton,"

I looked at him and he stood, dragging a chair over to the edge of my bed.

"You hair looks like shit,"

"Thank you,"

"Sorry,"

"It's all good," he laughed, "So why can't you sleep?"

"See, you can't say that back to me cos I have no hair,"

"I could say your hat looks like shit,"

"You could, but that would be cruel," I pouted, "Michael got me it,"

"It would be better if you slept with it off, you have a temperature,"

"I guess,"

He slid it off my head and put it on himself, making me giggle, but it died down very quickly and I sighed.

"I think I am gonna try school tomorrow,"

"Yeah? Well you need a good sleep for that. Aimee is going to go,"

"Okay, but I can't sleep,"

"What can I do to help?" he yawned, "I know I can,"

"I feel lonely, and I am in a lot of pain,"

"Oh, Izz. Sweetheart,"

"It's stupid,"

"No it's not. Going through this can feel lonely, especially because you hardly know anyone here. I know it doesn't account for much because I am old, and grumpy, but you have me,"

"You're not grumpy... but you are old,"

"Mkay,"

"Can you cuddle me?"

"It's easier for Kay to sleep in there than it is for me,"

"Fine,"

"Don't get mad at me,"

"I'm not. I am not," I yawned, "Talking you is so boring though that I am tired,"

"Huh, I thought the same thing,"

"Goodnight, I love you,"

"I love you too," he said, kissing my head, "I will see you in the morning,"

**

Sierra woke me up in the morning, Luke beside her, both of them smiling. I rubbed my eyes and sat up, giving them a small smile.

"Good morning,"

"Good morning sweetheart, I am afraid we are the bearers of bad news. You can't go to school,"

"Why?"

"You don't feel unwell at all?"

"Yeah, but I was gonna go,"

"That's not really possible darling. You need fluid draining before radiation. We also want to monitor you extremely closely, and have you on fluids and back on pain meds. It's just not a good idea,"

"Please let me go,"

"I am so sorry darling,"

"Why didn't you guys catch it before it got this bad?"