42

Isabelle

"Guess what?"

"What?"

"I am your new doctor," Lewis said, "I know, I am not the head of department, but I know exactly what I am doing. Promise,"

"What about Ashton?" I asked, "My treatment is still the same, right? And on a Tuesday, and I can go home this weekend,"

"I am not changing anything for now,"

"Why are you now my doctor- not that I am not happy, but I am so used to Ashton,"

"Your sister requested a change in doctor, and she is your legal guardian, so what she says goes about that,"

"Do you know why?"

"Erm... I think she is just getting a bit worried because you two are so close. How are you feeling?"

"Tired,"

"You did have surgery. I am gonna feed you and then you can sleep, does that sound okay?"

"Where is Sierra? And Ashton?"

"Ashton is with Kaykay, Sierra will be down soon I am sure,"

"He's not coming to see me?"

"I could page him. Him and Kaykay have had a tough day,"

"Well what if I have? Which I have. He doesn't know that of course,"

"You had a tough day? Wanna talk?"

I shrugged and looked at him, then the tube used to feed me. Lewis was gentle, caring, and patient- he was a good doctor. But he wasn't Ashton.

"I had more scans, and more blood taken, and my weight taken again,"

"It does seem pretty packed, you can have a rest tomorrow. Maybe someone will take you on a drive,"

"People always say I get a rest and then I'm either in surgery or in a machine,"

"Well, nothing is planned. Have you brushed your teeth today?"

"No,"

"You probably should before you sleep,"

"My ulcers hurt,"

"I'm surprised you are talking so much,"

"I always have a lot to say," I said, sighing, "I'm trying to ignore them,"

"How is that going?"

"Not good,"

"Okay, well you need to try and brush your teeth everyday, and take it easy. Why don't I see if I can get you an emergency dentist appointment so that they can take a look and make sure it's all okay?"

"No,"

"No? Why not darling?"

"No," I said, shaking my head, "Please,"

"Well I am going to, because we need to make sure they don't get infected or anything, but it will be okay darling,"

"I want Ashton back,"

"Because I am caring about your health?"

"I want the old Lewis back,"

"Surprisingly, I am the same Lewis. All that's changed is now I get to help you more,"

He finished my feeding and then sent me to brush my teeth, so I did, then crawled back into bed and faced away from him. I was mad that Ashton hadn't visited, and kind of took it out on Lewis.