Chapter 7- The Next Step In Our Lives

Short little chapter with big events! Hope you like it! Next chapter friday!

"How will they advertise it?" Cora asked, as Tom and Matthew both sat down across from her.

"I don't know exactly. "Desirable nobleman's mansion with surrounding estate and properties?"' Robert said, shrugging as Charlotte skipped in to greet her parents.

"Where will you go?" Tom asked as Robert spoke up.

"We have some land further north at Eryholme, on the border with Durham. It came with my great-grandmother. The house is pretty and we might make something of it. We could always rename it Downton Place."

"What are you all talking about?  Are we having to sell Downton?" Charlotte asked, sitting down next to her father as Cora's eyes widened.

"We hadn't told you?" Robert asked, as Charlotte shook her head, in disbelief. "Well dear, we lost a lot if money in a railroad investment, well in fact almost all our money int he railroad investment, and we don't think we can keep running Downton for much longer. "

"But Matthew has just inherited a big fortune and won't use to to save Downton." Mary said, walking in and sitting down next to Matthew a he sighed and lightly rolled his eyes.

"I'm not talking about this now," Matthew said, " anyways Edith, are you excited for tomorrow?"

"Of course. I'm practically bouncing off the walls!" She said, as everyone chuckled. Soon after, everyone parted.

"Hey there." Peter whispered, wrapping his arms around Charlotte, scaring the life out of her.

"What are you doing here? You're supposed to be at your new house." She said, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"I know, but I wanted to see you again. Is that so bad of me?" He asked, leaning down and connecting their lips. "Do you want to come look at the house with me?"

"I would love to but," Charlotte said as Peter frowned, "everyone needs me here to help with Edith's wedding tomorrow."

"Alright, I understand." He said, pouting as Charlotte rolled her eyes.

"You'll see me tomorrow, but I should probably go before anyone see's us." She said, looking behind her to make sure no one was there watching the two of them interact.

"Oh let them see." Peter teased, squeezing her sides, as she jumped up and hit him on the shoulder.

"Go away, I'll see you tomorrow." She said, quickly pressing a kiss to his cheek before running to the sitting room where her oldest sister sat. "How are things with you and Matthew?"

"Frustrating. He feels as though he cheated Lavina's father by not marrying her. So he won't spend the money, he just wants to give it away." She spits out angrily. Charlotte knew it wasn't her fault, so she sat down and patted her sisters back.  "If you married Peter, maybe he would be able to save Downton?'

"Yes, but father said that we would have to leave in two weeks. We couldn't get married in two weeks. Edith might, but not me." Charlotte said, as Mary rolled her eyes at the mention of Edith, before realizing what she had said. "When did you find out?"

"Just a few minutes ago, you know there are doors everywhere," Mary said, as Charlotte blushed, "If you don't' want anyone finding out, I suggest not doing that in the hallways." Mary said, before getting up and leaving Charlotte flustered.

The Wedding Day
"Oh Edith, you look beautiful!" Charlotte said, giving her sister a hug, "I'm going to go to the church now and meet up with Peter." She said, as her mother nodded and gave her a parting kiss on the cheek.

Luckily Peter was waiting outside the abbey for her, dressed up in one of his best suits.

"Hello there." He said, leaning in as Charlotte quickly stopped him.

"Let's wait a little bit. Maybe get away from the abbey?" She asked as he nodded and took her hand as they both walked to the church together. "You know family members are supposed to drive to the church, consider yourself lucky that I didn't drive and walked with you."

"It's probably the only moments I'll have alone with you today so. I'll take what ever I can get." He said, swinging there hands.  With the church in sight Peter quickly pulled Charlotte down a side alley and pressed her up against the hospital wall before kissing her. "I've been waiting to do that all day." He said, making her giggle and kiss him again.

"I love you, Peter Parker." Charlotte said, playing with some of his hair.

"I love you too Charlotte Crawley," He said pressing his lip to hers shortly again, "marry me." He asked, taking her hands in his. "Marry me, please. I have this big house, and I'm all alone."

"Peter," Charlotte said, cutting him off, "Of course I'll marry you." She said, as Peter smiled a big grin and pulled out a ring from his pocket.

"I've had this for weeks. I bought it in America, and wanted to ask you the second I got back." He said, slipping on the beautiful diamond ring on her finger.

"Let's just wait until after the wedding, okay?" Charlotte asked slipping the ring off her finger and putting it into her clutch, as Peter nodded and walked with her hand in hand to the church.

(Words 880)