Chapter 24 - Expecting

Words: 1.2k

Warnings: Pregnancy sickness, fluff, mentions of rape,

As soon as Peter's train arrived Charlotte was the first thing he saw out of his first-class seat. Charlotte caught him looking at her and smiled before waving at him. Peter laughed and waved back before standing up to get his carry-on bag and step out of the train. 

It had been a month since the two had last seen each other. His trip was delayed a few days due to weather, but he had made it back regardless. 

As soon as he stepped foot on solid ground he darted to Charlotte picking her up and spinning her around, causing her to giggle and wrap her arms around his neck. 

"I missed you!" Peter said pressing kisses to her neck. 

"I'm so glad that you're home! How was your trip?" Charlotte asked, pushing herself away from her husband to hear his story. 

"It was fine, boring. I had no one to talk to and I was missing you, so it seemed like forever," Peter said turning around to see the rest of his bags had been unloaded. "Come on, let's go home." 

As soon as Peter stepped back inside his house he finally felt relaxed. He instantly grabbed Charlottes hand and led you both to the sitting room, as soon as he sat down he patted his lap for her to sit on, to which she happily complied.

"Things in America were fine, I probably could have stayed home but I'm glad I went. I should have brought you along we could have gone shopping in time square," Peter said as Charlotte tilted his head up and started kissing him. 

"I have something to tell you, Peter," Charlotte said breaking away from the kiss, "I'm pregnant." 

Peter's face quickly turned from concern to happiness. "What?" He stuttered.

"I found out yesterday, I've been throwing up and feeling nauseous, so I went to the doctors. I'm around six weeks," Charlotte said placing Peter's hand on top of her stomach. 

"You've been sick for weeks now? I'm sorry I haven't been around to help," Peter said cupping Charlotte's cheek and rubbing her stomach, "I'll be here from now on." 

"Great, that's all I need," Charlotte sighed, "I think we should wait just a little bit longer to tell mamma and Papa." 

"Mary, Tom, and Rose are going to London tomorrow. Do you want to go at all?" Cora asked both Peter and Charlotte. 

"I don't think so, we've already gotten what we needed," Charlotte said before looking to Peter who nodded. 

"Before you leave we have something to tell you," Charlotte said catching everyone's attention. 

"I'm pregnant!" Charlotte said, as Cora gasped and stood up, "I'm around six weeks." 

"Congratulations darling!" Robert said, giving Charlotte a hug and Peter a handshake. 

"Another great-grandchild, how exciting," Violet said, kissing Charlotte on the cheek. 

"Congratulations milady," Carson said, bowing. 

"You may spread the word downstairs Carson," Peter said as Carson nodded dismissing himself. 

During supper, Cora and Charlotte were talking about Cora's new ladies maid, Edna Braithwaite when all of the sudden Charlotte feels some bile rise in her throat. 

"Excuse me!" Charlotte exclaims grabbing everyone's attention and darting out of the room. Peter was hot on her heels. 

"Charlotte?" He asked, following her to the hall where Charlotte was thrown up all in a vase. Peter had winced and set his hands on her back and held some of her hair back.

'So this is what she's been going through the whole time.' 

As soon as Charlotte was done she sat beside the pot and buried her face in her palms. 

"This is so embarrassing, you didn't have to watch," Charlotte said wiping the corner of her mouth. 

"I would want nothing more than to be here with you," Peter said rubbing your back, "I'm going to be here for you." 

As soon as the two walked back into the dining room, the whole room went silent, causing Charlotte to blush. 

"I'm sorry everyone. You didn't have to stop for me," Charlotte said as Peter tucked her chair in. 

"What do you think it was? The salmon?" Cora asked, referring to Charlotte's sickness. 

"Yes, I'm sorry mama, and tell Mrs. Patmore that I'm sorry about the dinner, but I cannot be around the fish," Charlotte said to Mr. Carson as he nodded and bowed. 

Right before they left Charlotte pulled Anna to the side. 

"I hear that you're moving back into the house?" Charlotte asked as Anna nodded.

"I just can't be in the same house as him right now." Charlotte sighed. She didn't want Ana to shut out her poor unsuspecting husband. 

"Anna..." Charlotte warned, but she just shook her head. 

"Goodnight milady," Ana spat before walking away. Charlotte sighed and walked back to Peter who was holding her coat for her to put on. 

"What was that about?" He asked. 

"I'll tell you when we get home," Charlotte whispered, as Peter nodded. He trusted Charlotte so he didn't ask about it until they stepped foot in their bedroom. 

"I didn't want to tell you what was happening back there because it had something to do with Mr. Bates and Anna. While Dame Neville was here Mr. Gillingham was also here. Turns out that his valet had not the best intentions with Anna and assaulted her during the concert." Charlotte said, sitting on Peter's lap. 

"Tony's footman?" Peter asked as Charlotte nodded. 

"Now, she's asked to move back into the house and hasn't told Mr. Bates anything, it's just frustrating because Tony keeps inviting himself every chance he gets. Luckily Mary told him to fire Mr. Green, but poor Anna is terrified,"

"I'm sorry I wasn't here to help at all," Peter said, as Charlotte wrapped her arms around his neck. "Poor Anna." 

"Don't tell anyone though, especially not Anna. I don't want her to feel like she can't trust me," Charlotte said. 

"Of course, and I want to help in any way possible," Peter said, pressing kisses to her neck. He felt horrible that this had happened to sweet Anna. 

"Just being here helps. I love you," Charlotte said, connecting their lips for what felt like the first time in weeks. 

The next few days were rough, Charlotte woke up feeling sick most days, and finding food that didn't make her feel sick was hard, but thankfully having Peter home made her feel ten times better. 

"I asked Tony Gillingham to fire Mr. Green,  thank goodness they're leaving," Mary whispered to Charlotte before Edith and Michael Gregson approached them. 

"It was good to meet you again Mr. Gregson," Peter said, shaking Michaels's hand. 

"And you Mr. Parker and again, congratulations!" 

"Thank you, have a safe journey back," Charlotte said, shaking his hand. A few minutes later everyone loaded into their cars and drove off leaving the Abbey all alone. 

"Alright, we're going to London now. See you tomorrow," Mary said, kissing her sister on the cheek. 

"Are you going to stay for luncheon?" Cora asked as Charlotte nodded. 

"Yes, but I would like to ask if I could have some soup. I'm not that hungry at the moment," Charlotte asked Mr. Carson as he nodded. "The sickness has been terrible lately. I'm sorry Mama." 

Cora understood she had been pregnant three times and for each one, the sickness would worse, so listening to all the hardships her daughter was going through in just her first of probably many pregnancy, she had sympathy for her daughter.