Chapter 26 - Alfred

"So it turns out that Alfred is leaving right?" Charlotte asked, watching Peter move around the room. 

"I think so. I'm not quite sure, I missed that dinner dear," he said leaning over the bed to give Charlotte a peck on the lips. 

"And it's Papa's birthday tonight, do we have a gift for him?" 

"Rose is getting him a gift from all of us, why are you so forgetful today?" Peter chuckled.

"I'm five months pregnant let me be," she said rubbing her growing stomach. "Mary was a ditz when she was pregnant. I look like an elegant swan compared to her." 

"Well if you say so," Peter chuckled, "I'll see you for dinner, ring me if anything happens." Charlotte nodded and blew him a kiss before getting out of bed and ringing for Amelia to come up to dress her. 

"Oh drat, I'm supposed to be in London in forty minutes. do you think I can make it?" Charlotte asked Amelia. 

"Defiantly not Milady," Amelia chuckled as Charlotte sighed but smiled. "I can get someone to call and inform you that you'll be late?" 

"You're a dear, thank you," Charlotte said, making her way to the car and waving goodbye to Amelia. 

As soon as Charlotte arrived to the building in London she saw her friend Martin waiting for her. 

"I'm so sorry Martin, things weren't moving as fast as I thought this morning," Charlotte said hoping out of the car as Martin smiled. 

"Don't worry about it, it gave me time to check up on the designs," Martin said as they both walked into the building. "So I was thinking for designs to focus more on pregnant women and their changing bodies, so thank you again for coming and providing some input." 

"I was very touched that I was the first woman you reached out to." 

"You were my best friend, the timing was just perfect for both of us," he said, "how is Peter by the way? Didn't he just come back from America?" 

"He was, a month and a half of cars? I'm just glad he enjoys it because I would be bored out of my life," Charlotte joked as she stepped onto a platform.  

"We were thinking that for the sleep wear that we use silks," Martin said as a team of people came and handed her fabrics to choose from, "but cotton would be comfortable, it's up to you." 

"I'm thinking the cotton, we want women to be as comfortable as possible. So I think we should do this baby blue fabric with some lace,"  Charlotte said, pointing to the lace on the board. 

"You heard the woman let's get a mock sewn up!" Martian said pointing to his team as they nodded and ran to the back. 

"Wow, amazing show you have here Martin. I'm impressed," she said looking out the window that overlooked downtown London. 

"Thank you, I'm quite proud of it," he said as he turned around to see Charlotte in the mock up dress. "It's perfect we'll go with that design." 

After a few more fittings Charlotte left the studio and headed out Downton to grab a quick luncheon. During her meal she saw Anna and Bates at the door looking Fairley distressed. 

"Anna Bates?" She asked approaching them and the host. "Are you here for lunch?" 

"We were supposed to be, but there seems to be a mishap," Bates said, glaring at the host who looked s like he had seen a ghost. 

"There was?" Charlotte asked turning to the host who quickly stuttered. 

"No, not at all, I'll be right back," he said smiling as Charlotte rolled her eyes. "I'm sorry about him. Did he give you trouble?" 

"You don't have to worry about it Milady," Anna said as Charlotte smiled. 

"Alright, well I'll leave you to your meal, see you back at home." 

Once Charlotte got back to the Abbey, Peter and Amelia where waiting for for her at the front door. It looked like they were talking, Charlotte was glad that they had both gotten along so well. 

"We must hurray Amelia if we want to be ready in time for dinner," Amelia nodded. 

"I already laid out all out things. I'll meet you up there," 

"How was your fitting?" Peter asked, wrapping an arm around Charlotte's waist. 

"Amazing, I'm really looking forward for you to see it," Charlotte said, "I better get dressed, but I'll see you at dinner."

WOW a chapter, I'm so sorry for not posting. the next part is going to be Roberts birthday dinner and surprise. Hope you like it!